Update failure - Pi2

Running manual updates from the OSMC settings on RC2 either produces a failure reported in the GUI but with no meaningful error, or a prompt to restart. During restart I get the blue sad face and no updates carried out.

I have attached the the log files - I wonder if anyone might be able to dechiper what was going wrong (most recent failed update attempt was 15/05/15 @ ~17:50.

http://paste.osmc.io/levezetovu.coffee

Cheers,

James

Silly question, have you tried doing a normal reboot since the problem occurred, and then run updates again ?

The logs say that systemd is not responding to dbus messages, but that is very unusual as systemd is the init system that runs the whole operating system, controls service startup/shutdown etc.

If you’re seeing the sad face you’re not actually rebooting - that’s just Kodi exiting by crashing, which then gets automatically relaunched again after 10 seconds.

During a reboot you would see the full screen coloured pattern followed by the osmc splash screen.

1 Like

Not a silly question - yes I’ve tried rebooting, powering off and exiting OSMC… and as you rightly mention I then see the expected OSMC splash screen. If I then try to manually initiate the update process again it fails as described initially.

However I just tried to reboot again and now both the iOS and USB remotes become extremely erratic (single press registered as double/triple press) and any attempted reboot causes OSMC to crash (sad face)… Maybe I need to do a fresh install but obviously more interested in helping you guys in case there’s a wider bug at play here…

I tried a hard power off/on and an error appeared in the update dialogue (blue background grey boxes) about issues mounting, but couldn’t take a screenshot quickly enough… it seems to be installing packages successfully at the moment. I’ll update once it finishes.

It’s possible that you are affected by this:

What make and model is your SD card ? If you are affected, it will cause gradual file system corruption which might be subtle at first but eventually will cause problems, especially during an update, since an update overwrites a lot of critical system files.

The good news is that this should be fixed in RC3 with a kernel update, but if there is file system corruption you’d probably want to do a fresh install starting with RC3 as there’s no telling what might be corrupted.

It looks a bit like either dbus or systemd is malfunctioning, you could possibly try this as a stop gap, no guarantees that it will work though:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install dbus systemd diskmount-osmc --reinstall

Thanks for the reply, my card is the same brand and model as the OP in the link. Therefore as you suggest, I’ll do a fresh install of RC3 when available and in the meantime I’ll issue the command in the hope that it restores some stability however I’m happy to wait for RC3.

Thanks for the quick replies and for investigating so quickly, it says a lot about how driven the OSMC team is.

Cheers,

James

RC3 is scheduled for today.

S

1 Like

We’re aiming to get new RC3 installer images out later today - most of the RC3 updates have already been pushed out to RC1/2 users but in your case you’ll want to wait for the new images so you can do a fresh install.

2 Likes

Is there a way to check if my RPi2 is affected by this SDCard corruption error?

My RPi2 updated fine yesterday to RC3 but it took a couple of goes (update error: report in OSMC forum) - probably due to everyone downloading.

Unless you have one of the SD cards specifically listed in that Github thread as known to cause this issue, there is no way to be sure.

However if you have not experienced any symptoms of file system corruption then you are probably ok. Only a small percentage of SD cards were affected. However if you do experience weird or unexplainable issues that could be attributable to file system corruption, (especially booting to a read only filesystem) then a fresh install directly to RC3 would be advisable and you should be ok from then on.

1 Like

Our download servers are stable and should hold steady

S

hello

i’m using RC3.
Today Kodi showed a window about applying updates, I selected OK and end up at “sad face” screen again and again.

Shall I login SSH and “sudo reboot”?

1 Like

Please start a new forum post

Sam