Updated CIFS kernel module supporting 2.0 and greater

For me it only works as before (only 1.0), though I updated to the new kernel including its modules:

uname -a
Linux raspi 4.9.29-11-osmc #1 PREEMPT Sat Jul 29 01:53:58 UTC 2017 armv6l GNU/Linux

modinfo cifs
filename:       /lib/modules/4.9.29-11-osmc/kernel/fs/cifs/cifs.ko
version:        2.09
description:    VFS to access servers complying with the SNIA CIFS Specification e.g. Samba and Windows
license:        GPL
author:         Steve French <sfrench@us.ibm.com>
alias:          fs-cifs
srcversion:     BE3BB80B09F564101FFD558
depends:
intree:         Y
vermagic:       4.9.29-11-osmc preempt mod_unload modversions ARMv6 p2v8
parm:           CIFSMaxBufSize:Network buffer size (not including header). Default: 16384 Range: 8192 to 130048 (uint)
parm:           cifs_min_rcv:Network buffers in pool. Default: 4 Range: 1 to 64 (uint)
parm:           cifs_min_small:Small network buffers in pool. Default: 30 Range: 2 to 256 (uint)
parm:           cifs_max_pending:Simultaneous requests to server. Default: 32767 Range: 2 to 32767. (uint)
parm:           enable_oplocks:Enable or disable oplocks. Default: y/Y/1 (bool)

I have a raspi 1B

So you still get an error when you add vers=3.0?

Sorry for the wrong alarm. Shame on me :confounded: I tried version 3.1.1 and version 3.11, which are ones of Windows 10. But their missing support is not an OSMC issue. Then 1 (without .0), which didn’t work either and 1.0 works.

But 2.0, 2.1, 3.0 and 3.02 do work :slight_smile: :sunglasses:

Thanks!

Well 3.1.1 is experimental but looks like @sam_nazarko even activated that so you should be able to use it.
Can check with cat /boot/config-4.9.29-11-osmc | grep SMB

I get
CONFIG_CIFS_SMB2=y
CONFIG_CIFS_SMB311=y

but with vers=3.1.1 or vers=3.11 I get
mount error(95): Operation not supported
in the shell and dmesg says
CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -95

Ok, seems need to Google a bit to figure out how to set it

I think it is no important issue, as basically all Windows servers will be configured to accept 3.0(2) or even 2.(0|1). But there is a strong movement now to disable SMB 1.0, as it has many problems, including critical security problems, which were fixed by MS and some vendors offering appliances with SMB, but not all.

Hi, I have exactly the same problem with nvidia jetson tx1, ubuntu 16.04. the vers option doesn’t work, except if it’s one. how did you solve the problem on rasberry ?

This is a 2 year old thread. SInce then many things have changed.
What exactly is your problem? Are you using OSMC as a client or a server?
Which version of OSMC are you on?