Upgrade to kodi17+retrosmc

Greetings,

Since installing osmc (kodi v16), and then using the excellent instructions to get retromsc working, my config hasn’t changed. While I understand we all use different addons that may/may not break as a result of a v16 to v17 update, can I please get a basic understanding of the following please:

• process to upgrade to v17 (is it a simple download and install - settings ‘should’ traverse to new v17?) :wink:
  • what (if anything) is needed or advised for the retropie portion of the upgrade, should this just ‘work’ after the upgrade or are there any prerequisites?
  • any other prerequisites required for the upgrade?

appreciate time taken by those who have upgraded. i have looked at a few guides out there, but thought it best to consult on this forum prior to doing anything.

btw, I’m running Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2

best and always,
nacro.

You should just be able to use the update functionality of osmc to get the latest Kodi version.

Alternatively a
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
From commandline should do the same.

Restrosmc should work afterwards. You might have to reactivate the launcher addon after update to Kodi v17 in the addon settings.

To be safe, you could do a backup of your home folder beforehand or make an image of the whole sdcard.

hi, thanks a lot for your response.

i’ll attempt the cmdline option soon.
yes, i’ve always got a good backup on external disk plus sdcard :wink:
cheers,
nacro.

hello again,
just a short one… all worked without issue. was very quick too.

haven’t had a chance to test each and every service etc, but the most ‘important’ lol ones are functioning including the emulator station with ps3 controllers etc. no issues with cec either. did notice some oddities in the kodi log regarding cec, did a little research, but nothing causing too much of an issue that I can see right now…

osmc@osmc:~$ grep -i kodi .kodi/temp/kodi.log | head -3
17:47:28.846 T:1958465536 NOTICE: Starting Kodi (17.3). Platform: Linux ARM (Thumb) 32-bit
17:47:28.846 T:1958465536 NOTICE: Using Release Kodi x32 build (version for Raspberry Pi)
17:47:28.846 T:1958465536 NOTICE: Kodi compiled Jun 1 2017 by GCC 4.9.2 for Linux ARM (Thumb) 32-bit version 3.16.39 (200743)

thanks again for your input,
nacro.