Upgrade via apt-get upgrade

I read too late about apt-get dist-upgrade :slight_smile: And now I am getting this:

osmc@aikrpi:~$ kodi
/usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin: /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.28' not found (required by /usr/osmc/lib/libsqlite3.so.0)
/usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin: /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.28' not found (required by /usr/osmc/lib/libcec.so.4)
/usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin: /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.21' not found (required by /usr/osmc/lib/libcec.so.4)

OSMC is 2020.11-1. The installed libc6 is 2.19-18+deb8u10 and it does not upgrade to anything better.
Is that it, the installation is dead and I need to reinstall the whole thing? Not a huge deal but I could not (easily) see any details why apt upgrade should not work. Thanks!

It’s hard to say without full logs, but I suspect you didn’t fully update your sources.list for Buster

That’s from Debian 8 (Jessie). The current version is 2.28-10.

I’m guessing that you might not have updated the installation for a few years, in which case a full reinstallation is probably the most sensible option.

ouch. Good point, reinstalling then, upgrading via apt will take ages on this hw (rpi3b).

Will “apt upgrade” be still a bad choice with buster? Any hints why (just curious)?

Yes and No, it still could break your system if you do so but in current versions of OSMC you can not execute apt upgrade anymore anyhow