USB drive problem

Right - results time. 2 hard drives (an old HGST (NTFS) and a WD scorpio Blue (ext4)) and a LiteOn SSD. The WD is the one that I originally requested help for earlier today.

2 x USB 3 enclosures (one a nameless generic the other labelled ‘Orico’).

All combinations are happy plugged straight to the laptop.
With the Vero; The SSD mounted ok in either of the enclosures as did the HGST! But the WD wouldn’t in either - just the normal clicking, even though that one works fine plugged straight to my laptop.

So, I’m no wiser. Is the psu not kicking out as much current as it should? Is the WD the world’s hungriest drive in terms of current or does it dislike both enclosures (presumably not since happy on the laptop)?
If there’s nothing obvious here I may just cut my loses and format the HGST to ext4 and use that with the vero, since that seems happy. It would just be nice to know!

If the drive is iffy in two enclosures, there might be something unique to that drive that’s causing a problem.

Couple of thoughts:

Any difference if you plug the drive in after booting instead of before booting?
Does it work with just one drive attached?

Cheers

No difference pre or post boot and all the test were done with just the one drive attached. I’m not too concerned as the older HGST is considerably bigger and working fine on the hub, whilst the WD is ok with the laptop, and we could be chasing an answer forever, so nothing lost, it would just have been nice to say it’s because…
So thanks to all who offered help.
Andy

That’s fair enough and I can appreciate your understanding. Happy to look in to things further if you wish however.

If you do get a chance, run a SMART test on that drive and make sure it comes back healthy. Don’t want you to lose any data suddenly because of a potentially failing drive.