USB HDD mount Problem?

Hi,
i´m having problems since two mounts ago with the Vero4K+, it started with some problems resuming some movies or trying to forward or rewind, the movie took too long to start and them it stopped. But playing it from the beginning was OK.
Then it begins to happen with all the movies, lot of problems to resume them.
And now i cant play any movie in an external usb device, even the navigation between folders is impossible, sometimes it takes 30-40 segs when change the folder. The movies doesnt start or it takes 1minute to start and them it stops after a few seconds.
I have changed the HDD, tried with NTFS and exfat, i have reinstalled the Vero with the last image

Dont know what to do, could you help?

Thanks. Regards

First step is to provide logs via grab-logs -A or MyOSMC Uploader.

Second question would be is it a USB HDD with own Power Supply or are you using a powered USB Hub?

Hi,
this is the log uploaded with MyOSMC, http://paste.osmc.tv/zucizejeyi
HDD is a 2.5" USB powered, i have been using it for almost 18 months without problems.
THanks. Regards

The drive is not getting enough power

May 20 21:08:49 osmc kernel: usb 1-2: reset high-speed USB device number 2 using xhci-hcd
May 20 21:08:49 osmc kernel: xhci-hcd xhci-hcd.0.auto: Setup ERROR: setup context command for slot 1.
May 20 21:08:49 osmc kernel: usb 1-2: reset high-speed USB device number 2 using xhci-hcd
May 20 21:08:49 osmc kernel: xhci-hcd xhci-hcd.0.auto: Setup ERROR: setup context command for slot 1.
May 20 21:08:49 osmc kernel: xhci-hcd xhci-hcd.0.auto: xHCI xhci_drop_endpoint called with disabled ep ffffffc05dad5400

Thanks Sam
How is that possible after 18months working fine? And why it happens with my other new usb powered HDD?
Regards

The power supply could have been borderline. Newer versions of OSMC use more power.

We do not support powering a hard drive directly from the Vero and always advise to use an external power supply or powered USB hub.

Sam

Thanks again Sam
Some USB HUB that you recommend, small and cheap? It’s just to connect it to the Vero?
Regards

This will work: 4 Port USB 3.0 Powered Hub - OSMC

Before you buy anything, the other thing I’d do is try and change the cable.

Sam

Thanks Sam.
Each drive that I have tried had its own cable
Reagrds

I hope my issues might help here.

I have a 6Tb USB drive which I have been loading up relatively slowly. It was all working OK but developed the same issues you had. Changing directories got slow, starting videos could take ages and could cause the thing to lock up. It became unmanageable. In windows, the HD looked fine and I could start all videos no problem. Because the faults came on gradually, I suspected all the long names of videos, with all the special characters like extra . and " etc. I went through the HD using the PC and renamed all videos to remove special characters, and to keep the names short. Bascially I searched for S0E01 (for example) in the filename using VB and removed all the excess. Partially manual and set up code for repetitive names. Anyway, this cured all the problems, although initially there was a issue because the vero still seems to keep whatever its uses to map all the special characters (at a guess), so rebooting did not fix it. I had to “safely remove” the drive and then switch off vero completely and let it mount it again.

When I add more videos, if I add directories with special characters in, the problems start again. This happens consistently. It seems to cope with a certain amount, then it just gets confused and I need to delete all special characters to make it good again.

My HD is formatted NTFS. I’ve got about 1.6Tb on it just now. I think the problems started about 1Tb.

Hi.
Thanks for the info.
I have borrowed an USB HUB from a friend and all the problems are gone
Regards