USB hub power issues

Not normally, no, but there are one or two on Amazon that use 12V power supplies.

ok, so just to be clear, if you are saying to ideally have 4.5W per port. In case of factory power supply that has 5V/2A and hub with 4 slots, does that mean that here we have 2.5W/slot (10/4)?
Haven’t someone mentioned I need to stick to 5V power supply? I know that was with Vero box, but isn’t that the same for usb hub too as it is connected to Vero? If not, then I guess I am not limited to 5V when buying replacement hub for Vero, right? I can use e.g. below Orico hub or similar.

At least 4.5W per port, yes.

Correct.

The power supply for any given device needs to be the same voltage that the device is designed to work with. If you take a Vero 4K+ (which has a 5V supply) and connect it to a 12V power supply, you’ll destroy it. But the voltage produced by a USB port will always be 5V (assuming the device that owns the port is powered correctly). It’s possible that a particular model of powered USB hub might require a 12V power supply - if so, you shouldn’t use anything other than a 12V power supply with it. But the voltage it supplies from its USB ports will still be 5V. If that weren’t the case then any USB device plugged into it would be destroyed. They wouldn’t make a USB hub that works like that!

All you need to worry about here is whether the hub’s power supply can deliver 4.5W per port.

1 Like

Generally agree with that sentence especially in this thread where we talk about powering legacy hardware through USB.
While technically since PD and QC this isn’t true anymore.

Okay, okay, voltage supplied from a USB 3.0 port to a USB 3.0 device will be 5V. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like