USB remote not working on boot

How have you deduced that? My best guess at the moment would be that a removal and replug means it does not get captured and can send uinput events.

I have one of those laying around in a box somewhere. I never tried it on a pi but I do remember that it shows up to the system as just a keyboard and mouse. So it has nothing to do with lirc.

Gathered hence /dev/input/event0.

If you are on post-Alpha 4 you could try disabling eventlircd and lirc services and you will probably have some joy.

Other areas to check for:

• Permissions on /dev/input/event0. Should be owned by osmc:osmc, otherwise a udev rule will help.
  • dmesg when attaching device.
  • dmesg when booting with device.

I have several of these remotes.
I use a customised keyboard.xml (just the keys I want to configure) and this fixes the vol- key and mute (vol+ seems to work anyway)

<keymap> <global> <keyboard> <one mod="ctrl,alt">Notification(Key Pressed, Ctrl+Alt+one, 5)</one> <!--Green --> <two mod="ctrl,alt">Notification(Key Pressed, Ctrl+Alt+two, 5)</two> <!--Orange --> <three mod="ctrl,alt">Notification(Key Pressed, Ctrl+Alt+three, 5)</three> <!--Blue --> <four mod="ctrl,alt">reloadkeymaps</four> <!-- Yellow (helpful for testing this file) --> <f4 mod="alt">Close</f4> <!-- The [X] Button--> <o mod="ctrl">ContextMenu</o> <!-- The Open Folder button--> <tab>XBMC.ActivateWindow(Home)</tab> <!-- Tab --> <d>toggledebug</d> <e mod="meta">Info</e> <!-- The My PC Button --> <tab mod="alt">OSD</tab> <!-- The Multi-Window Button --> <return mod="alt">FullScreen</return> <!-- The Full Screen Button --> <f13>Mute</f13> <!-- Mute button --> <f14>VolumeDown</f14> <!-- Volume down button --> </keyboard> </global> <FullscreenVideo> <keyboard> <one mod="ctrl,alt">CodecInfo</one> <!-- Green --> <two mod="ctrl,alt">ShowSubtitles</two> <!-- Orange --> <three mod="ctrl,alt">SubtitleDelayMinus</three> <!-- Blue --> <four mod="ctrl,alt">SubtitleDelayPlus</four> <!-- Yellow --> <pageup>BigStepForward</pageup> <pagedown>BigStepBack</pagedown> <next_track>StepForward</next_track> <prev_track>StepBack</prev_track> <v>Mute</v> </keyboard> </FullscreenVideo> </keymap>
HTH

1 Like

Hi, apologies for my ignorance but where do you store the keyboard.xml file? Which folder?

Many thanks in advanceā€¦

/home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/

/home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/keymaps is where I have mine (working)

Hi, stored the file in /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/keymaps/ and the new layout works great! I donā€™t need the mouse control anymoreā€¦ And yes, the volume- button is now working too!

Many thanks to ā€œdandnsmithā€ for sharing this keyboard.xml file!!!

Iā€™m running on the latest update (0.9.8 since this morning) and I discovered that after a reboot of the PI you have to wait till you have seen a small flashing symbol in the upper left corner before pressing any IR remote control button. Pressing a button before this flashing symbol causes the IR not to work till the next reboot (and of course after this flashing symbol was seen on the TV screen).

BTW, I think this OSMC 0.9.8 version is getting close to become an RC version. After the upgrade and a reboot, there is a nice welcome screen where you can set the language for OSMC

I think 0.9.8 must be OSMC Skin version. Its still Alpha. A very good Alpha.

Donā€™t think so. The OSMC Skin version is 1.0.5 and the OSMC Operating System is 0.9.8. Have a look in System - Information.

But, as far as I know, it is still Alpha 4

OK . I will look in to the system. I use ALPHA 4 and for me its like the final one. Never had problems with it.

I fully agree with you, itā€™s unbelievable how stable it runs for an Alpha versionā€¦

I agree about the stability. Great work. If only tvheadend worked I would need no more.