USB Stick Recommendation for OSMC on ATV?

I have a PNY 8GB, Kingston 4GB and 2 SanDiskCruzer 2GB USB sticks that I have had no success using. The only thing I can get to work is a SONY 4GB M2 and it appears to be out of room already as an update told me it failed due to insufficient space. May I please ask for recommendations of a working 8 or 16 GB stick that I could buy to use until the HD install is resolved? A link to one on Amazon would be very welcome. Thanks!

8GB Sandisk Cruzer works great for me. :grin:

1 Like

Thanks, ordered from Amazon, be here Wed.

@sam_nazarko - What size/s would you recommend for people wishing to run it from USB? Especially, long term.

This is under the assumption that you have your media on a NAS or USB harddisk

@fzinken - Thanks - Would it matter if it was USB 2 or USB3 or High Speed flash drive? What I mean to ask is whats the max Read/ Write speed/ capacity of the ATV1 Hardware, so I wont overspend on a USB 3 drive if its capacity cant be used?

The ATV1 has USB 2.0 Support.

That said, you may want to get a stick that supports USB 3.0 since it will be more useful later, and the nand flash might be better quality/faster.
As long as the stick if fully USB 2.0 compatible, has fast random access, and IS NOT a U3 Type, you should be good to go.

@Spinner - Whats a U3 type? Any benefit to a 32 GB one - lets say you dont add any media and dont care much for variety of themes… simple/ clean/ lean/ elegant?

They are harder to find now, but some people have them lying around and try use them.

It’s more about price and speed instead of size IMO. I’d not go any smaller than 8GB. I’m running off a 16GB. Depends on what you have lying around, or what is available in your area.
If you are ordering one online I’d go for 32GB simply because it’s more useful for other things if you stop using it in the ATV1.

1 Like

@Spinner - Thanks :slight_smile: I agree with having 32 G over 16 G for any other non ATV 1 use. But lets say if I wanted to dedicate a USB stick to the ATV1, then I guess 16 GB should suffice?

Also, is there someone/ some place that has tested the maximum RD/ WR throughput for the ATV1 USB port? That way I can test some of those that I have, and others on market to pick one that works best dedicated to ATV1.

I don’t know of anyone who has tested the port.
I tested the internal HDD along time ago but never the USB port.

16GB is perfect if you aren’t storing media on it.
In my experience smaller sticks seem to use slower chips

1 Like

@Spinner & Others here :slight_smile: Can you or someone with a USB 3 flash drive test the max for the ATV 1 port? If so, what benchmarking tool/ app would you / someone use… I guess under linux?

Here’s the info you need:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SSD_Benchmarking

You need a running OS on the ATV1 to do it.

Personally I’d not bother. It’s not worth the effort IMO

1 Like

@Spinner - Thanks for sharing that.

Does it have to be running of the HDD or can live boot of USB?

What kind of Linux can I run on ATV1 and run that test? besides OSMC…?

PS: Yeah, I anyways wanted to bench some old Flash Drives and put them to some permanent long term use in appliance like boxes. Hence :slight_smile:

You could use OSMC running on the USB stick you are testing, but the results wouldn’t be consistent, depending on processes going on in the background. (kodi updating your library, etc)
On the other hand, if the OS was running from the HDD, the stick would only be used for the test itself, and you’d have more accurate results.

While you could use another Linux based OS on the ATV1, the more accurate results would come from testing with OSMC, since that’s the exact OS and hardware you will be using.

For a simple comparison of the relative speed different sticks you could simply test them on another computer, with whichever storage benchmarking tool and OS you wish. That’s probably the easiest option.
Of course the actual speed when used on the ATV1 with osmc would be slightly different.

I used hdparm back when I was running Crystalbuntu 2. to test the internal drive.
The link above explains how it’s used. A web search will no doubt give more detailed info.
I’d do the test a few times and average the results.

Even easier… maybe someone else has done some testing and can report their results. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have the 64 GB version of this. It’s worked great from the start.

1 Like