USB tuner dongles for Vero 4K+

I am considering to buy a USB tuner dongle for the Vero 4K+ so I can watch cable TV. I have been told that the DVB-T2/DVB-C TV dongle sold by OSMC may not be compatible with the cable system of the island Aruba, since they probably use an American digital cable format. HAUPPAUGE WinTV-DualHD Dual USB 2.0 HD TV Tuner has been suggested as a dongle that probably will work with the cable system of Aruba. Is this Hauppauge compatible with the Vero4K+ ?

If Aruba is using American standards then the OSMC tuners will definitely not work. You would need to find out how your cable provider is broadcasting its stations. I believe that most cable systems are no longer transmitting most stations in ClearQAM (unencrypted) which means that to get the stations your paying for on a USB tuner you would need one that can take a cable card and a cable provider that is willing to supply you one. basically, if you can get the stations you want by plugging the cable into your TV without a cable box then you just need a ATSC turner that has QAM. If you can’t get your stations that way then they are encrypted.

I found out that IPTV is now available at our local telecom company. I will explore that option in the coming days.

Not technically correct, OSCAM can be used alongside card reader to achieve this depending on cable company

My telecom company is giving me a DCX 3400 box, this will read digital TV stations directly from cable. I should get this box in a few days. Of course I am keeping the Vero 4K+ The DCX-3400 has an internet connection but I am not sure yet how it works. It uses some protocol called Moca, Multimedia via Coax. I will know more in a few days.

MOCA is just ethernet over coax and it is probably in that application used such that if you feed internet into one cable box then any other cable boxes in the house that are only connected via coax will get internet access as well via that cable for steaming media purposes. Some cable and satellite boxes will use it to transfer videos in a setup where there is a DVR. This is how my Dish Network DVR worked when I had it. It actually had all the tuners and a DVR in one box that also had an internet connection and the boxes connected to other TV’s were just using standard networking to stream video via MOCA.

I hope that someday somebody will make a box that does everything. I still have a VHS player from the 80’s But I doubt it still works, without eating the tape. At present there are 4 coax connections in my house, one in the living room , one in a front bedroom, another one in the back part of the house. Internet also comes via Coax by cable modem. My internet speed was increased to 170 Mbps yesterday. But some channels do still freeze. The speed can go up to 250Mbps, but that will cost more. The DCX-3400 will connect to an Coax connection says the manual. IPTV is supposed to work without freezing or buffering (at least in theory) since they are supposedly delivered via a different network that does not carry the everyday clutter. We will see…

No no no. If only they would make boxes that just do one thing and do it well and they all had a common interface then we would only have buy the functions we want. And when one bit breaks or needs upgrading we just replace that bit. Dream on …

At least they should make a box that does everything audio/video related. A few years ago I was able to watch purchased google videos on the raspberry pi 3. (You can’t watch for very long although, the pi gets overheated) That was done through a YouTube plugin. That functionality does not work anymore in the current YouTube plugin. On a desktop computer I can watch almost anything. We human beings excel in making things super complicated for ourselves.

The Pi used to be able to.

But video is always changing (codec; resolution; bit depth; EOTF).
Technology doesn’t stand still.

What good is a technology that blocks you from all sides, so that to do anything useful you have to “jailbreak a device” or you have to use some other “help” (think vpn) so you can watch something? And worse, what if even your local TV station goes “dark” or is not offered anymore on the page where it normally was, and accessible to the general public. ? It seems that the more advanced the technology gets, the more restrictions are put in place. It seems that we are heading into some dark future where no one is allowed to buy or sell unless you have the mark of some entity on you forehead or hand.

I know right? I was absolutely livid to find out that my wax cylinder player could not play my pianola rolls at all. My Victrola destroyed my Capacitance Electronic Discs and Laserdisk’s didn’t fair any better. Cassettes just jammed up my 8-track. Would it really have been soooo hard for them to just build one device that foreshadowed formats of the future and built it with technology that didn’t exist yet (at an affordable price and with power efficiency, obviously) and was also able to connect to and fully interact with services from third parties against their wishes to operate as closed of a system as possible that maximized their profits. Obviously the issue here is supernatural in nature.

1 Like

You must be one of the immortals. (from the clan of Duncan MacLeod perhaps?) if you remember all that ancient technology. Some 50 years ago we had a vacuum tube radio, but had to throw it away. (Termites ate the wood). Than I had a Sylvania TV (The one with the shatterproof screen, do you remember that one, a man hitting the screen with a hammer?) Back then there was no such thing as video freezing. Only a lot of commercials.

That’s not what I’m talking about. I have a record deck, a cassette deck, an FM tuner, an audio amp and some speakers. Any of those can be replaced and the replacement will work in the chain. Add a CD player? Fine. Just a CD player. Even my AVR just deals with audio and doesn’t pretend to be a video processor. The more manufacturers cram into one box the more you have to replace if one part of it dies or becomes obsolete.

The downside is cable Armageddon, of course :slight_smile:

The belts in my cassetteplayer melted years ago. I guess it’s to hot over here in the tropics. What about SDR, software defined radio, have you checked that out? One box can now be programmed to asume the role of a radio receiver. It may even be used to decode radio transmissions from the stars, (radio astronomy) if I remember correctly.

Well I wasn’t really responding to your statement (which I don’t disagree with) but rather just trying to have a bit of fun with the notion of this magical box that will do everything. Sure it sounds good, one remote, one interface and all that. Kodi can do the bulk of that, so can a smart TV. The topic pops up from time to time but the answer is always the same. There is a profit motivation to subscription services such that they are going to want a closed system. That closed system is never going to provide all the features that something like Kodi can provide. Streaming providers don’t want to spend money steaming Videos if they can’t make money shoving adverts in your face, and content providers want to make it as difficult as possible to pirate content despite a history of this being a futile effort. Cable and Satellite companies want their box rentals. So, in my opinion, the solution is to use a Kodi box for your acquired content, and use a closed player such as a smart TV or Android box for the commercial services that don’t want to play nice. If I want to watch some YouTube on the big screen I just cast it from my web browser or play it directly on using the TV’s app. To do so doesn’t feel like any more of a burden than using a stand alone player for physical media.

2 Likes

In Europe (The Netherlands) they sell a box with the name “Formuler”, “Formuler GTV IPTV Set Top box met AndroidTV 10” , is one of the latest models. With this box you can watch Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, Hulu, Spotify. I even see a google play logo on the box. Plex is supported and also mytv. I do not know If this box can watch IPTV as delivered by our telecom company. It probably can not, I did not read anything about M-cards or other technology that are supposed to give you access to your local telecom content. On this box you can probably install all the video apps that are in google play, since it runs a version of android.

The profit motive makes everything complicated. Every provider out there wants to make money. But with all the restrictions that they put in place they are not making it easy for the consumer. Not too long ago it was not even possible to buy something from a store in the USA via internet. If you had no credit card it was even harder.

The DCX-3400, the box that I will get from my local telecom company will watch the content that our telecom company provides. Some 160 channels they say.

The DCX-3400 also has a connection for an rj45 cable. So I should be able to plug it into my Cable modem. I do not know if you can install apps on it that come from google. It comes with some software installed, and it has an internal hard disk. There is also a connection to plug in an external hard disk. Perhaps the DCX-3400 itself may be able to do a lot of things. As far as I see, it does not have wifi.

I finally got the DCX3400, but returned it the same day. (Did not like it one bit).

I am considering to buy a smart(er) device, perhaps a new TV that reads NTSC cable and with HDMI input so I can connect the Vero 4K+

I am looking for a Hauppauge dongle. I saw a few days ago here somewhere on the forum, but perhaps I maybe mistaken and saw it somewhere else. Is there anyone who knows where to find the article about this item?

It seems your threads invoke some form of Godwin’s law, always ending up at the same point :smiley:

2 Likes