USB3 HDD to USB3 HDD using the USB3 hub

So I have two USB3 HDDs plugged in to my Vero 4K+ and when I transfer files from one to the other it usually runs around 20~22 MBs, which is expected because of the USB2 interface on the Vero 4K+.
If I hook both drives up using the OSMC USB3 hub will file transfers from one drive to the other be faster?

No, no direct communication between the devices. Data still needs to go via the single USB2 port.

Thank you for the quick reply!
Bummer to here that, I was hoping for faster file transfer since Vero 4K+ doesn’t have USB3 ports.
What I have with my setup is two USB3 HDDs where one is the main drive and the other is a back up.
So after I add a new file to the main HDD through my network, I then use the file manager to copy that file to the second HDD.
Speed isn’t critical but it bogs the Vero down until it’s done copying.
Is there some type of back up add-on where I can schedule it to run during off hours to update from HDD1 to HHD2?

EDIT: I can map both drives in windows and schedule a script for Beyond Compare but this adds an additional layer that’s even slower because the file goes from HDD1 > Vero > Router > PC > Router > Vero > HDD2.
Presumably an add-on would just do HDD1 > Vero > HDD2.

You could set up a simple cronjob to compare the two drives and keep them in sync. Rsync would be the way I’d do that

1 Like

Thanks for the input.
I haven’t used Linux in ages and even then I was never that good with it.
My laptop is Windows 8.1 so that’s what I’m used to.
Could you link me to something that explains how to install and setup Rsync?
Or if it’s really simple, maybe you could just outline how to right here in this thread.

Well a starting point could be for example here.

After you have worked out your initial Rsync command you then could add it to crontab for periodic background backups (if you are fancy you could actually use inotify to watch changes on disk one to trigger backup)

Depending on what is the exact purpose of your backup you might alternatively look into a RAID or use borg-backup

To install Rsync it should be as simple as logging in via the command line and then;

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install rsync

Your USB drives should both automount in /Media (I think) so your rsync command would be something like this;

rsync -avzP --delete /Media/MasterDrive /Media/SlaveDrive

If you only wanted to sync individual folders then you can adjust the command slightly to do what you want.

You can schedule this by editing your crontab (sudo nano /etc/crontab) and entering a line that looks similar to the one below, mine is set to happen every day (that’s what the * * * bit says) at 00 minutes past 9am but you can adjust yours as you see fit;

00 09 * * * root rsync -avzP --delete /Media/MasterDrive /Media/SlaveDrive

1 Like