Usernames and passwords

The default username and password for SSH, (S)FTP and SMB in OSMC is:

username: osmc
password: osmc

Changing the default password

To change the default password for the osmc user, run the following command:

passwd

Enabling root access

By default, OSMC ships with the root user disabled, but allows privilege escalation with the sudo command. If you would like to enable the root username, run the following command:

sudo passwd root
2 Likes

Hello there,
This solution works only for FTP and SSH.
Regarding SMB, you’ll need to use the following command line instead :

smbpasswd

Otherwise, you’ll keep osmc/osmc login password for samba.
Regards,
David

Hi I am not very savey with programming so I don’t understand what root access is as opposed to typing osmc and osmc ? Dont know what SMB is either?
But maybe to keep this brief I dont want people having access to my vero units when installed in public places via things loaded via osmc osmc log on and password. What do I do to stop people accessing via this route ?
Change the password I guess if that simply works?
but I saw posts on google search saying that they did this but osmc password still worked as well.
Then one saying they lost access when they updated and their new password stopped working or it stopped after 2 days and could not get access
Any short answer to how I simply change OSMC password and don’t fall foul of these 2 issues or any others I have missed in my quick scan?
And can feel that there is no other simple access way in once this is done!!!
Thanks

Just disable SSH under Settings -> Services.
We can do this for you by default

If you install the OSMC in a public (Internet) environment you surely should change passwords (ssh via passwd, samba via smbpasswd, Kodi via Settings → Services) but generally you should also considering to have a firewall installed on OSMC.
If you don’t need any remote services than ensure all of them are disabled (SSH and Samba disable via App Store and Kodi via Settings → Services (HTTP and UPnP)