Using OSMC Hub: Might still be having power problems

Hello! I have a Vero 4k+ and the OSMC 4 port USB 3.0 powered hub. I have two Seagate Backup Plus Portable 5TB external hard drives that are plugged into the OSMC hub. These drives are powered by USB. And the drives are pretty new (opposed to end of lifespan).

I think I frequently have power problems. When I plug both drives into the OSMC hub at the same time, one of the hard drives frequently does not to show up in OSMC. You can hear the hard drive spin up and click; it just sounds like it doesn’t have enough power to continue. This problem has been going on for awhile.

When I plug one drive at a time into the OSMC hub, it sometimes helps mitigate this problem.

When I plug either drives directly into the Vero, I can’t reproduce this problem. When I plug both drives into my laptop, I can’t reproduce this problem.

I do see angry drive errors in dmesg. However, I’m suspecting it’s a power problem (opposed to bad sectors and hard drives).

[Fri Mar 20 18:07:43 2020] usb 1-2.1: reset high-speed USB device number 12 using xhci-hcd
[Fri Mar 20 18:07:43 2020] xhci-hcd xhci-hcd.0.auto: Setup ERROR: setup context command for slot 3.
[Fri Mar 20 18:07:43 2020] usb 1-2.1: reset high-speed USB device number 12 using xhci-hcd
[Fri Mar 20 18:07:43 2020] xhci-hcd xhci-hcd.0.auto: Setup ERROR: setup context command for slot 3.

How do I troubleshoot and/or fix this? What additional logs do you need? Thanks!

1 Like

Remove one drive for a while, and see if the other drive works fine. If it does, swap over.

Keep in mind that the powered hub supplies 2A across the whole hub. Your drives may demand more power than this, but I’d be surprised if this was the case.

Thanks! Yeah, I’ll be doing that and getting a USB power meter.

I’ve been running into this problem for awhile. I just finally got off my lazy ass to do something about it, lol.

1 Like

You mentioned OSMC hub supplies 2A across the hub. Is it divided evenly (0.5A) per USB port? Or can it be like 0.8A for one port (and 1.2A for the other 3 ports?

I bought a USB meter. When I plug one of my drives into my laptop, the drive can use up to 0.78A during startup. It idles around 0.25A. When watching a movie, it uses around 0.6A. I have two of these drives that are plugged into the OSMC hub.

I bought another fancy powered USB hub off Amazon and will see if that fixes the problem.

1 Like

It can supply more than 0.5a per port, provided there’s enough capacity

FYI, I have been having the same issues as above, mine are 2TB WD drives. I can usually get away with having 2 on at the same time, but anymore and they won’t register and you can hear them spinning up/clicking.

Cool, thanks! At least I know I’m not insane, lol. Amazon Prime should be delivering my Anker 60W hub in a week or so. Assuming there aren’t any of the reported Linux compatibility issues, I’m hoping the Anker might fix it. And if the Anker fixes it, I can also add like a third 5TB Seagate drive!

I’ve been using my new Anker 60W hub for a week or so. 60W is probably overkill but I wanted to completely rule out power issues. I’m unable to reproduce any of the issues that I had with the OSMC hub (i.e. spinning up, clicking). It’s been working perfect. I’ve also noticed that mounting drives is much faster (i.e. showing up in File Manager) is much faster with the 60W hub.

1 Like

What anker model did you buy?

https://www.anker.com/products/variant/anker-10-port-60w-data-hub/A7515111

I picked up a 3rd Seagate Backup Plus Portable 5TB and the above Anker hub seems to be powering it up fine. I only played with it for 30 minutes or so.

If anyone is curious, I haven’t been able to reproduce any issue with my new Anker 60W hub. It’s 100% perfect with 3x 5TB Seagate drives attached to it.