Using OSMC Kodi to connect to my friends SFTP server

Is there anything I can aptget to connect to my friends SFTP server to download files? It uses a key file for authentication? Similar to transmission but for SFTP?

You should already have all that you need, since the sftp binary is installed by default.

You’ll need to set up the public/private keyfiles just like for ssh. There are lots of tutorials for ssh keyfile setup out there. Your friend would also have to set up his server so the key you use is recognized.

ah i see add source sftp in kodi. How do you use private keys in that scenario? I don’t see the option.

We believe this is a Kodi issue or a specific Kodi function and as such you should look at addressing the issue there. If you do believe that this is an OSMC specific issue, please let us know.

Actually, I suspect that the kodi user will be the one connecting?
In that case, make sure your Kodi user has a ssh key-pair in ~kodi/.ssh - the .ssh directory is of mode 700, and contains 2 files: id_rsa and id_rsa.pub - id_rsa needs to be mode 600, while id_rsa.pub can be 644.
You will need to copy the content of the id_rsa.pub file to your friends .ssh directory (user you connect to) into the ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file.
Next time you make a ssh connection to that host, approve (accept) the authenticity of the remote host, and now you should be able to connect to the remove host without password.

PS: you can also use: “ssh-copy-id remote_user@remote_host” to perform the entire copy operation mentioned before :wink: