V17 - can't use the remote to get outside the center selection areas

Have a r-pi v2 running v17 - well - trying to run v17. (I’m not a fan of code words).

Rebooted after the v17 update (which I never wanted) and everything was really delayed - slow, so it isn’t clear what got selected as I pressed the remote trying to move forward during the initial setup page (think it was trying to migrate something). Using the remote to move around would never leave the center areas. Couldn’t get to the any of the icons at the top or bottom or far right. Just the list at the left (Videos, Music, … ) and the center areas which display about 6 characters for the filenames. This is on a 100inch projector, BTW.

Initially figured the remote had been reset, so ssh’d in and looked at the lirc.conf - it has my rc6 remote config, so that should be working.
Rebooting didn’t help. After the reboot, I tested whether anything would playback. worked down into the plain video files (difficult because the names were all shortened) and selected 1. Playback worked.

So I restored from a backup (OSMC backup) and rebooted. Now it is showing the frowny face and cycling through a blank screen every 10-15 seconds.

Appears I get to wipe the data (~/.kodi/* ) and start over. Ok - that didn’t work. Staring at the same frowny face cycling on the screen. I hope it is working as expected for everyone else and this is something just on my install.

Just wanted folks here to know the upgrade process isn’t seamless. There can be bumps. Time to pull what I can off the SD card and wipe everything.

Pulled down OSMC_TGT_rbp2_20170210.img.gz thinking it was v16.x release. Seems it is v17. Thought it was listed as v16.x, but could be my mistake.

Used dd to put it onto an empty 32G microSD card, moved it into a r-pi v2 and booted. It did the automatic format at boot and took a few reboots to get the HDMI output working.

Had to ssh in to fix the remote settings (that is normal). deleted the kodi-remote and symlinked the rc6*conf to lirc.conf - rebooted and that started working. Didn’t need to attach a keyboard or mouse.

Pushed over my last backup (v16) and restored it under ~osmc/.kodi/ (previously moved ~/.kodi/ to a different name. Rebooted.

Worked through the normal setup stuff - language, timezone, …
Everything seemed to work.

Couldn’t find the Confluence skin and haven’t gotten the screen looking like I prefer. Miss the old look. PlexBMC addon is working. Had to re-enable the HDHR TV tuner addon. Don’t know if that is working. Other addons appear to be there, but haven’t tested them at this point.

The on-screen displays are different. The overlays during playback are simplified, but seem to show the most important things. I like that it is clear when HW-based decoding is being used.

We don’t list any images as v16 or v17, but anything after January 2017 is Krypton.

You say this is normal, but it doesn’t sound normal to me. What exactly did you change? If this is a bug in OSMC we’d rather get this fixed for all users. Please describe your receiver and remote too (dmesg or lsusb is appreciated). Most people using rc6 remotes are using GPIO receivers.

It’s in the repositories.

It works.

Kodi Krypton changed the video overlays that are displayed during playback. If you would like to make suggestions for changes then their forum is the best place.

Sam

We don’t list any images as v16 or v17, but anything after January 2017 is Krypton.

Good to know.

You say this is normal, but it doesn’t sound normal to me. What exactly did you change? If this is a bug in OSMC we’d rather get this fixed for all users. Please describe your receiver and remote too (dmesg or lsusb is appreciated). Most people using rc6 remotes are using GPIO receivers.

I use an rc6 (cheap roswell) with a USB interface. Always have to rm the lirc.conf and manually symlink the rc6*conf to it. That fixes everything. I don’t have anything connected to the GPIO.

It’s in the repositories.

Looked for it under "Get more … " in the Skins tab. Nothing came back. Had to move on to other things.

It works.

I believe you. I’m loving the way that recording from an HDHR4 is just a wget with a specific URL and use the timeout command to end the recording. Even a r-pi should be able to record 4 streams concurrently, if the USB I/O can keep up. I know 2 streams works, but since my media isn’t on the r-pi, I don’t record on it. a $100 “server” w/ a G3258 handles that stuff. :wink: Happy to share my timeout-wget script if it would help. Really simplifies recording. I use at for scheduling. This is for add-hoc stuff. 7MC is still the main recording system here (cough, cough). I’m embarrassed to say. Free schedule data is compelling.

Kodi Krypton changed the video overlays that are displayed during playback. If you would like to make suggestions for changes then their forum is the best place.

I have lots of suggestions today, but really should give it a week to see what grows on me and what doesn’t. At this point the only thing I’ve noticed is that images don’t update nearly often enough when FFwd is used. Seems to be 20x less than on the older version.

Thanks for all you guys do. Feel free to ignore my rants. I had planned other things to be done today.

Ah ok – normally we just recommend people select the LIRC config via My OSMC → Remotes. It’s the same thing – our add-on creates a symlink to the chosen remote profile. Just glad that nothing extra needed to be done.

Need a log – but it’s definitely in the repository.

Okay – makes sense. I understand and appreciate constructive criticism. There is always more to do. So if you start a new thread when you collate your thoughts I will gladly read and let you know my thoughts.

Sam

Ah ok – normally we just recommend people select the LIRC config via My OSMC → Remotes. It’s the same thing – our add-on creates a symlink to the chosen remote profile. Just glad that nothing extra needed to be done.

Can’t do the remote config when the remote isn’t working. No keyboard/mouse here. Hooking up a keyboard is a major hassle. ssh OTOH, is trivial and a way of life for me. I really need to setup an ansible playbook for this machine.

Been thinking about learning python, but don’t want to harm my perl-fu. I’d miss all the semicolons. :wink:

[quote=“Spammer456, post:4, topic:22426”]
Looked for it under "Get more … " in the Skins tab. Nothing came back. Had to move on to other things.[/quote]

Need a log – but it’s definitely in the repository.

I assume it isn’t any apt-get, but a Kodi repo?

[quote=“Spammer456, post:4, topic:22426”]
I have lots of suggestions today, but really should give it a week to see what grows on me and what doesn’t.[/quote]

Okay – makes sense. I understand and appreciate constructive criticism. There is always more to do. So if you start a new thread when you collate your thoughts I will gladly read and let you know my thoughts.

If you don’t take risks to see what works, the project will die. So keep taking the risks. Old fogies can get over it. :wink:

Not served via APT. It’s a Kodi repository so you will need access to the device to do it.

That’s what we’re doing :thumbsup: