Vera 4k on hd tele

Hello
I am new to the forum and especially new to set top boxes. Just so that I can double check on the Vero 4k’s talents - I would especially like to play 4k video on my HD tele - so to confirm - I can connect the Vero 4k to a powered external HD ( I have been checking the forums and it seems a powered HD is best) where my 4k movie clips are stored and the Vero 4k will hapily play these on my my non 4k tele. Can I assume the vero 4k will also convert the PCM audio to I believe the AAC format.

Many thanks

That’s correct. It doesn’t matter if your TV doesn’t support 4K, the content will be output at the highest possible resolution supported by the TV.

Audio will also be OK.
We do recommend externally powering hard drives when possible

Sam

It will output PCM (eg from mp3s, flacs, wavs) as PCM and also AAC as PCM. Dolby Digital and DTS can be ‘passed through’ to an AVR or sound bar if those devices can accept these formats, otherwise the vero will convert those to PCM as well.

Thank you both for your help. My HD tele does not support PCM audio as I found out after I had downsampled a test clip of 4K video - I just had a silent movie - I downsampled a clip via software but which is okay for a few clips but not dozens. That’s why I was checking whether Vero 4k will also convert the audio signal as well as the video.

Thanks again

That is very surprising. What is the make and model?

Can you also post mediainfo for that clip you made?
Please see the mediainfo section in How to submit a useful support request - General - OSMC.

You may have to install mediainfo on your PC.

I am not handy for the tele details at the moment but from memory it’s a Panasonic Vera flat screen 47" while the audio is a 16bit RAW 2 channel PCM

Update, my tele is a Panasonic TXL47ET5B Viera and after going through the sound settings there does not appear to be an input option - only the usual bass, treble, surround sound etc - also last year with some HD clips - although they played great (just insert the memory card straight into the tele) no sound as the audio was PCM

That TV should support audio from the Vero 4K without issue, otherwise I’d expect no devices to give you sound via HDMI.

As @grahamh suggests, MediaInfo output for a clip that produces no sound may give us some clues as to why.

Sam

Thanks again for the advice - here is the Mediainfo - it’s long -

General
Complete name : C0029.MP4
Format : XAVC
Codec ID : XAVC (XAVC/mp42/iso2)
File size : 2.41 GiB
Duration : 3 min 24 s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 101 Mb/s
Encoded date : UTC 2018-05-28 13:16:38
Tagged date : UTC 2018-05-28 13:16:38

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L5.1
Format settings : CABAC / 2 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 100.0 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.482
Stream size : 2.37 GiB (98%)
Color range : Limited

Audio
ID : 2
Format : PCM
Format settings : Big / Signed
Codec ID : twos
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 536 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Stream size : 37.5 MiB (2%)

Other
Type : meta

So that appears to be the original (4k) file. Please post mediainfo for the resampled file.

I no longer have the resampled file but have listed a file from another camera where the clip plays fine but no audio on the tele…

General
ID : 0 (0x0)
Complete name : 20160921.18.42.40.mts
Format : BDAV
Format/Info : Blu-ray Video
File size : 169 MiB
Duration : 50 s 402 ms
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 28.1 Mb/s
Maximum Overall bit rate : 28.0 Mb/s
Recorded date : 2016-09-21 18:42:40+01:00
Writing application : Sony NEX-EA50

Video
ID : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.2
Format settings : CABAC / 2 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=12
Codec ID : 27
Duration : 50 s 400 ms
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 25.4 Mb/s
Maximum bit rate : 26.0 Mb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 50.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.245
Stream size : 153 MiB (90%)
IrisFNumber : 4.000000

Audio
ID : 4352 (0x1100)
Format : PCM
Format settings : Big / Signed
Muxing mode : Blu-ray
Codec ID : 128
Duration : 50 s 395 ms
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 536 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Stream size : 9.23 MiB (5%)

Text
ID : 4608 (0x1200)
Format : PGS
Codec ID : 144
Duration : 49 s 855 ms

Are you saying that when you plugged a memory stick with the problematic clips directly into the TV that there was no audio?

Just as a heads up most ‘UHD or 4K video’ that comes from UHD Blu Ray Discs is also ‘HDR’ (High dynamic range) and Wide Color Gammut.

Your HDTV doesnt support these, and unless something has changed recently when I tried them the Vero doesnt do any form of tone mapping.

The end result of this will be picture will look quite ‘flat’ washed out and grey and you’ll get a far more accurate image on an 1080p display from an SDR 1080p file.

The Vero utilizes dithering (and has since the beginning, if I’m not wrong) to bring a HDR source image to an SDR screen with the limitations there are… It’s not adjustable though and not all results might be pleasing in every situation.

Thank you for the information - just out of interested to my eyes the picture looked okay (but it could be just me) with the Blu Ray clip and also with the 4K clip that I downsampled with software (Handbrake) to 1920 x 1080 only trouble was - no sound - from just installing the memory card into the tele slot.
I got round the problem by connecting the camera to the tele with a cable - playing the clips from the camera.
However my plan now is to play the clips via the Vero 4k - I was thinking I can just store all my clips on a HDD …leave it with the tele and thats also another back up …

There is really no reason why the audio shouldn’t come through with any of these files. If you can share a small sample (perhaps the second clip or just a few seconds of the first one) we can check if it plays OK on vero and I could see if it plays on my Panasonic.

Thank you again for your help - I did try to upload a clip but the message said it had to be one of the following extensions - jpeg etc etc
mts wasn’t listed …assume no movie uploads …

You can use something like Dropbox or MEGA

There has been HDR to SDR conversion for some time.

OK, the problem is that PCM is not normally encapsulated in mp4 or mts files. Your TV will not therefore play the audio from these files when played direct from a card, USB stick or over a network.

Vero, however, is less fussy and will separate the video from the audio and send both over HDMI. If you can send a clip, we can double check that.

1 Like

@Smokeyone:

You can upload some clips here: https://collab.osmc.tv/s/GOcNSR7cYhBKO8p

Sam