Vero 2 Blank Video Playback after April Update

any news on this? should we provide more logs?

I’ve checked this, and can’t see any obvious reasons (or replicate this problem) as to why this has been introduced in this update.

If anyone is able to reinstall last month’s version, I can give instructions on how to update OSMC component by component until we find the root cause of the problem.

I guess I have to be the guinea pig. I am surprised it hasn’t happened to more devices. I am not in a rush to do this so may be next weekend. Please send instructions to follow…

cheers

Wayne

• Download the March version (which I believe worked well for you).
  • Check that playback of a clip that is problematic on the latest update is fine on this version
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y vero2-mediacenter-osmc
reboot

If you are having problems playing the clip, then this suggests a problem with Kodi.
If not, run:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y vero2-image-3.10.104-16-osmc
reboot

If you still don’t get problems; then run

sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade
reboot

Thanks

Sam

i think i have a little clue what is going on here. besides some random failing playbacks of complete files the newest osmc seems to reject correct playback of files that are not 100% comlplete …
hope that helps.

If a file isn’t complete, then it’s usually corrupt if it’s not a transport stream.
Can you elaborate on this?

I just tried to play the same file on my two systems. On raspberry (latest osmc) it would play without problems on vero2 (also latest osmc) it would fail a couple of times before playing correctly.

So it is most probably not a problem with kodi i guess.

I still am not sure what you meant by incomplete files.

If the file isn’t a transport stream then it not being complete could certainly cause playback issues

yes, it happened with a file that did not copy properly to the server (from wich i play). but i think the actual problem is, that it happens also with proper files randomly.

If the file is partial or corrupt, it certainly won’t help with playback.

Hi Sam,

Apologies as I have not had an opportunity to run the reinstallation steps you provided yet. Mainly as the files will play eventually. Sometimes First attempt! Sometimes painfully many many attempts with just the sound playing. Stop then Play. Stop the Play. FYI It can happen with anything even playing a movie trailer. I am sort of hoping the problem will just go away with a new update! Hope you are well. cheers Wayne

Hi Wayne,

No sweat.

I have a bit of time coming up this week so will look at it myself. There should be an update coming for this Bank Holiday, so your assumption that things will be resolved shortly isn’t necessarily wrong.

Cheers

Sam

Hi

Hopefully the issue is now addressed.

I’d appreciate it if you could test this and provide feedback before we release this as an update to other users. To test this update:

1. Login via the command line
  2. Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
  3. Add the following line: deb http://apt.osmc.tv jessie-devel main
  4. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  5. Your system should have have received the update.

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I also recommend you edit /etc/apt/sources.list again and remove the line that you added after updating. This will return you to the normal update channel.

Hi Sam,

Issue not resolved unfortunately.

kind regards,

Wayne

That’s strange. The kernel was the only place where I believe a significant change occurred that could have caused this problem.

I’ll check for changes to Kodi and let you know when I have something to test.

Cheers

Sam

Thanks Sam very much appreciated.

cheers,

Wayne

I did it and to me it seems it’s working. I’ll check again in the next days.
Thanks Sam.

Mine still takes a few attempts or more to play video :frowning:

Was this with the older version and following the tests to find the culprit?

Hi Sam, I haven’t done the steps yet sorry. I did do these which didn’t fix the problem.

Login via the command line
Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
Add the following line: deb http://apt.osmc.tv jessie-devel main
Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
Your system should have have received the update.

I am just going to wait till your new update comes out and hope it resolved the issue. I am thinking considering I am about the only person having this significant problem it may be hardware related? It is very strange.

cheers,
Wayne