Vero 4k+ Blackouts

My logs
https://paste.osmc.tv/siluyexule

Changed the refresh ratio as you suggested.

Those settings are better.
Hard to see exact issues without debug logs. Do you have an AVR inbetween? Iā€™m assuming not as you have passthrough disabled

Sam

1 Like

In addition to the previously recommended settings you may also have to turn on the following setting with certain TVā€™s.
System->Display->Force 422 colour subsampling

What is a AVR ? I just have vero directly plugged into my tv with hdmi cable. And my usb external harddrive plugged with usb on my vero.
Like as mentioned on my first post.

An AVR is a audio/video receiver. Have you tested this with a different cable yet?

Edit: Can you also try changing this setting to ā€œon start/stopā€ like I recommended.
Adjust display refresh rate: Always

Is the hard disk formatted as NTFS? I can see some throughput issues during playback.

Sam

1 Like

No i didnā€™t used any other cable i only got 1x. Okay where do i find this setting excatly ?

Yes, i canā€™t use fat32 as many files bigger than 5GB+.

I understand it is a bit of a bother to try a cable swap when you donā€™t have another laying around but cables can give all kinds of issues especially with higher resolution and bit depth content. The setting can be found atā€¦
Settings>Player>Videos>Adjust display refresh rate> On start/stop

1 Like

ok iā€™ve enabled both of these:

Adjust display refresh rate: Always
System->Display->Force 422 colour subsampling

however if i set the display to 1080p then i get overscan and the movie is partially offscreen (gui is fine) even when i calibrate the display. to get around this i tried to calibrate 1080p60 and 1080p24 but that didnā€™t help. i donā€™t seriously have to calibrate every resolution do i?

switching back to 2160p24 works fine.

i noticed in guisettings.xml most of the 1080p resolutions have:

<overscan>
            <left>62</left>
            <top>34</top>
            <right>1860</right>
            <bottom>1030</bottom>
        </overscan>

whereas all of the 4k ones have:

<overscan>
            <left>0</left>
            <top>0</top>
            <right>1920</right>
            <bottom>1080</bottom>
        </overscan>

This is where you should be checking the aspect ratio on your TV settings to ensure itā€™s set at ā€œjustā€ or ā€œ1:1ā€ whatever your manufacturer calls it.

You should never use Kodi calibration settings. They will only degrade video quality. Once you have all these other settings we are advising, there should be no need. You should revert any Kodi overscan calibration you have set.

When you use the calibrate feature in Kodi it stores the settings in that file. It does this for every single resolution and refresh rate separately. You can manually edit those entries in the xml file if you wish.

TV aspect ratio was at 16:9, i set it to ā€œOriginalā€ and it didnā€™t help, canā€™t find anything like pixel ratio.

Its like the TV is optimised for 4k and doesnā€™t work well at anything else - even though all it ever displays is 720/1080 content, it still runs in 4k mode.

16:9 and original are pixel ratio

That overscan setting in Kodi will still need to be removed. You can either run the calibration when you are at different resolution and frame rates or you can just edit the xml file to get there quicker and reboot your device to reload it.

Set Original and remove all the overscan settings you have configured on OSMC.
If still issue the post make/model of the TV and upload full logs again