Vero 4K+ Buffering issue

Community,

I do have an issue with one of my Vero 4K devices.

My Setup

Living room: Vero 4K+ attached to 1Gbit Lan .

Bedroom: Vero 4K attached to 100Mbit

Problem: Out of the sudden the Vero 4K+ keeps buffering on files which played smoothly the last couple of months. What I do see is with the debug information that the Buffer ( ~180MB // 100%) slowly decreases over time and then causes a massive buffering issue for minutes. This continues throughout the movie.

Troubleshooting: I moved my Vero 4K and attached it to the same HDMI,Power Supply + Lan Cable and it works without buffering at all.

So it is related to the Vero 4K+ Device. I did not update the device recently , the last update was march 2022.

I have a log: https://paste.osmc.tv/quzaxsneja

Any hint is highly appreciated, maybe i need to wipe the device clean? I do hope the device has no malfunctioning component causing the buffering.

Thank you for your help and support,
Boris

Are both devices on the same version of OSMC? Can you upload some logs from the device which works without an issue

Sam

Hi Sam,

no, devices run on different versions. The Vero 4K+ runs on March 2022 while the Vero 4K runs on November patch.

Enclosed a Log from the working Vero 4K: https://paste.osmc.tv/usemezafal
If I need to wipe the “faulty” Vero 4K+ no issues.

Thank you for your support!

@sam_nazarko

I did a wipe of the Vero 4K+ ( the one with the issue) and installed the same OS version like the Vero 4K (The working one) and tested the files.

Testing happened with same power supply, HDMI + LAN Cable

The device is buffering again while the other device works flaswless. I think the device is having some faulty component (HW) causing this situation.

Any suggestion or do I need to replace the 4K+`?

Boris

Maybe something changed in the network, we suggest to check your network with iperf3. Please read this howto

Can you post a log from the proglematic device so I can compare it to the working Vero 4K?

I doubt the hardware is faulty if it worked before. There’s not been a case of a hardware fault occurring that causes buffering issues.

Hi Sam,

this is the log from the working Vero 4K: https://paste.osmc.tv/ulemezafal

I am not sure how to install this on my Synology NAS. Since I did a wipe combined with a new static IP i can for certain tell that the device is having enough bandwidth to cope with the files i play. the entire network is wired and running on 1Gbit.

Maybe the logs i shared from both vero help to narrow down.

Boris

Hi,

A SynoCommunity package called SynoCli Monitor Tools, contains iperf3. If you haven’t already enabled SynoCommunity, details can be found here:

Thanks Tom.

You could follow the link from @Tom_Doyle but as a starting point you could first test the iperf3 result from Vero to Vero that should give you a first idea if there is a problem.

Those logs a incomplete (e.g. missing your Kodi Settings and Network details) and also are not debug enabled.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Enclosed Two logs from both devices

Vero 4K+ Log: https://paste.osmc.tv/azobrqetev
Vero 4K Log: https://paste.osmc.tv/umofrzorep

@fzinken , @sam_nazarko
Movie played: Matrix 4

Result: Vero 4K plays without any buffering issues
Result: Vero 4K+ causes buffering after couple of minutes

I hope the logs do showcase something.

Thanks for your patience, I’ve been travelling.

I’ve looked at the logs.

Firstly, the devices seem to be running different versions of OSMC. One has been installed recently and one has been updating regularly.

Some settings are not ideal. Set the UI to 1080p and enable Adjust Refresh Rate, setting it to Always.

But your problem isn’t buffering, it’s that software decoding is being used:

2022-09-14 11:35:56.895 T:2864     INFO <general>: CDVDVideoCodecFFmpeg::Open() Using codec: HEVC (High Efficiency Video Coding)
2022-09-14 11:35:56.895 T:2864    DEBUG <general>: CDVDVideoCodecFFmpeg - Updated codec: ff-hevc

This will result in poor playback performance.

2022-09-14 11:35:58.030 T:2907 DEBUG : CVideoPlayerVideo - video decoder returned error

Here’s my recommendation.

1. Reinstall OSMC on the Vero 4K +
  2. Adjust the Refresh Rate setting and set the UI to 1080p on the Vero 4K as advised above.
  3. Use My OSMC’s backup utility to duplicate this configuration on the Vero 4K + after reinstalling. This will synchronise the settings from your 4K to your 4K+

The issue should then be resolved.

Cheers

Hi @sam_nazarko

I did reinstall the Vero4K+ with standard installer and only added my movie libraries + Display setting and the issue persists.

I did some further testing after setting the display to 1080p and always refresh

System - Player - HW acceleration enabled → Video starts buffering after couple of minutes
System - Player - HW acceleration disabled → Video is choppy as hell

Conclusion: Your assessment that SW decoding is used can’t be right since the video is a MKV 4K movie which plays fine at 30FPS until the buffering happens OR the VERO 4K+ HW is faulty and falling back to SW decoding or this is a result of the buffering issue. It happens now on every movie of different formats (4K, 1080p MKV).

Again, I did a full swipe of the device and the issue persists, it happened out of the sudden without changes in my network. I am cool in ordering a new 4k+ if this one is gone south but just wanted to be sure.

Any other ideas?

Boris

I still suggest to do a iperf3 test between your two Vero’s that gives a first indication if that is the problem.

Please post new logs. Your log clearly showed that hardware video acceleration was not being used previously.

@fzinken

enclosed iperf3 test results on Vero 4K+ (the problem child)

Client to Server

[ 5] 176.00-177.00 sec 104 MBytes 877 Mbits/sec 1 124 KBytes
[ 5] 177.00-178.00 sec 96.8 MBytes 811 Mbits/sec 0 146 KBytes
[ 5] 178.00-179.00 sec 99.3 MBytes 834 Mbits/sec 0 157 KBytes
[ 5] 179.00-180.00 sec 101 MBytes 850 Mbits/sec 0 165 KBytes
[ 5] 180.00-180.01 sec 1018 KBytes 729 Mbits/sec 0 165 KBytes

[ ID] Interval Transfer Bitrate Retr
[ 5] 0.00-180.01 sec 19.1 GBytes 913 Mbits/sec 86 sender

Server listening on 5201 (test #5)

Server to Client

[ 5] 176.00-177.00 sec 104 MBytes 876 Mbits/sec
[ 5] 177.00-178.00 sec 96.8 MBytes 812 Mbits/sec
[ 5] 178.00-179.00 sec 99.4 MBytes 834 Mbits/sec
[ 5] 179.00-180.00 sec 101 MBytes 850 Mbits/sec

[ ID] Interval Transfer Bitrate Retr
[ 5] 0.00-180.01 sec 19.1 GBytes 913 Mbits/sec 86 sender
[ 5] 0.00-180.00 sec 19.1 GBytes 913 Mbits/sec receiver

I do not see any significant drop in both tests aka the average bandwidth is 112MBytes and sometimes drops for 1 - 2 instances down to 95MBytes

This seems good.
Could also try to play the file from a USB stick to exclude any concern on the network side

Hi @sam_nazarko ,

attached a new log: https://paste.osmc.tv/okexubodas
The movie in question is Matrix 4 played around 11:20am

Additionally I added two screenshots with additional information, not sure if value adding.

Thank you for your support!

Boris

Did the test with USB drive and this one works flawless.

Still wondering if the Gbit component might degenerate over time and now, when playing a movie over lan, the component starts erroring after minutes of heavy duty?