Vero 4k cpu 170 Farenheit!

My Vero 4k reckons its running at 172 Farenheit and rising…

it crashes atleast once a day when i’m not around so i’ve never seen it log a temp warning, however it seems… umm … very hot…

it’s well exposed so i’m not sure why the temp woul dbe so high…

That is not a problematic temperature for the Vero and should not lead to crashes.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

170F is about 75C.
That’s within spec and there won’t even be any throttling at that stage.

Thanks Sam, I def saw the messaged today that it shutdown because it reached critical temperatures… I’ll have to try and get the debug logs off it… The problem is reproducing it unfortunately as it always happens when i’m not around… I’ll try and set the debug logs before i go to bed tonight and see if it’s done it over night.

Is there a way to have the debug log on without it displaying screen?

Yes. See https://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings.xml.
If you hit critical temps, the front of the device will turn red.

HI Sam, that’s exactly what happened. the screen dropped to command line, it said critical temperature (amongst other things) around 4 or 5 times then the screen went off and the logo went red.

I’ve got the logs on now, i’ll try and run them as long as i can in the hope something happens again… As I said, i have to repower it atleast once a day (I have it on a smart plug to make it easier) so hopefully it will do it.

What skin are you using?
Try changing to the OSMC skin and see if this helps.

I’m running Arctic Zephyr Leia Mod which has been absolutely fine for a good 2 years… If it does it again i’ll try your suggestion.

I believe some of the views in that skin tax the GPU quite heavily and can cause high temperatures. The good news is that we have GPU throttling in our 4.9 kernel, so this will solve any issues you have with hard lockups.

It would be good to know if using the OSMC skin solves your problems,

Cheers

Sam

Is that in a future release Sam?

Yes. 4.9 builds are already available for testing, but are recommended for advanced users.

Sam

Apologies for not getting back to you on this one… I had debug running for 24 hours when we first spoke about this but it didn’t crash… i turned it off and low and behold it crashed the next day lol…

i’ve now got it on via advanced settings with no onscreen so i should be able to give you a log soon.

I can’t see why enabling debugging would remedy this.

Sam

I’m not suggesting it did… i’m just saying it was sods law it didn’t crash until i turned it off :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep!

right, finally some logs for you…

https://paste.osmc.tv/jawebiloxi

From my monitoring it went off around 09:40:51 this morning… Box was unresponsive, no output and red light on the front. At the time, nothing was playing.

So there was the fanart grabber running at that time, also a Google drive export was happening. Last I wonder what the repeating jsonrpc requests are coming from.

2020-05-22 09:38:09.001 T:3111117536   DEBUG: CWebServer[80]: request received for /jsonrpc
2020-05-22 09:39:02.281 T:3394224864   DEBUG: Previous line repeats 9 times.
2020-05-22 09:39:02.281 T:3394224864   DEBUG: [plugin.googledrive][service-export--900742432]: export_map: {}
2020-05-22 09:39:02.684 T:3816813280   DEBUG: [ script.embuary.helper ] Start new fanart grabber process
2020-05-22 09:39:03.001 T:3111117536   DEBUG: CWebServer[80]: request received for /jsonrpc

So… Google drive export… thats interesting… i thought i had removed that… i’ll get rid of that asap.

As for the jsonrpc it’s likely my Home Assistant instance querying it

OK, so i removed the Google Drive addon and it was Ok for a while but it’s crashed again…

here’s the log : https://paste.osmc.tv/dugavijebi

Edit : @sam_nazarko And it’s gone again… Once again… nothing being watched when it happened :

https://paste.osmc.tv/idevihazib

I’d love to beleive this is a skin issue, but i have another vero 4k set up exactly the same and it’s not having these issues.

Well both logs only show fanart activity and the json calls before the shutdown.
Suggest to give it a try with out the fanart grabber for a while