Vero 4k+ dropping frames, freezing, looping buffer contents!

Both of my vero 4k+ units were working fine until the November 2019 update turned them into an ugly hot mess. My configuration couldn’t be simpler as all I do is watch Fios cable in realtime using my Silicondust HD homerun system. Essentially this is used as a non-recording STB. Attachment is via direct ethernet with one intervening switch. I don’t need to be able to freeze and go back. I don’t have a backend media server apart from the HD homerun system. I just want to watch freaking TV in my kitchen without using a verizon boat anchor!

From a cold start, streaming of live fios channels will run fine for a few minutes until things go down an increasingly slippery slope with an increasing incidence of frame drops, momentary freezes, audio dropouts, and then eventually either a complete freeze or looping on about a second worth of video. This seems to be worst on channels that are locally originated but eventually the pure cable channels (e.g., CNN) will degrade but not as severely. Sometimes the audio continues normally even after the video has gone condition brown. Changing channels does nothing. Restarting OSMC does nothing. The only remedy is to cycle the DC power.

BTW, my smart TVs and my Windows and iOS HD Homerun clients have no problem streaming the same feeds.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Frank
Annapolis, Maryland

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Hi Sam,

Ok, this is weird. I did what you said and as expected the problem eventually reappeared, but it took several hours to fail when it usually fails in well under one hour. (Actually, it failed sometime after we went to bed last night.) The only thing different is that after I enabled logging I did a standard shutdown instead of a reboot. Normally when the system goes stupid I just pull the power and the cycle eventually repeats. BTW, restarting the HD Homerun app has absolutely no effect as the problem reappears immediately after the app starts.

Now having said all that, after I uploaded the logs this morning the displayed upload URL was unpopulated— "URL:https://paste.osmc.tv/.

Maybe you can spot it in the upload folder at your end by time stamp. (Approximately 1115 UTC.)

So I’m not sure where to go from here. Is it possible for me to just write the current baseline image to a fresh SD card and do a fresh setup from scratch?

best regards…Frank

Instructions for performing a clean install can be found here…

Thanks. I’ll try that at my first opportunity.

Are you still experiencing problems with this Frank?

Sam

Hi Sam.

This is a much belated thanks for your followup query. Unfortunately doing the fresh install that you suggested resulted in only a small decrease in frequency of occurrence. And I’m running the absolute latest build installed early in June. Honestly, I gave up in frustration so I didn’t even check back into the forum until now. Any further insight would be appreciated. At this point video on both of my devices is constantly stuttering. Still watchable but very noticeable at all times. And about once every 2-3 days each Vero will freeze and only a power cycle shakes things loose.

Frank

We would need to see logs in order to make any type of relevant diagnosis.

Well, as I noted on 16 January, that isn’t possible due to a software defect. I just attempted to upload my logs again (I’ve enabled debug and component logging) and this is the destination URL that I’m given:

http://paste.osmc.tv/

Obviously this isn’t being populated. So it would seem that I have at least two problems flying in close formation. Perhaps related, perhaps not.

Perhaps you can search through the upload logs at your end and find them. The upload took place around 1340 UTC on 01 July from 100.16.159.238.

BTW, if disabling all video buffering will make this problem go away I’m all ears. I just use these devices as simple STBs. I don’t record anything nor do I need to pause or go back in a live video stream. My backend is just a set of HD Homerun video tuners on my FIOS feed.

There is no defect in the log uploader. Secondly, you’ve since done a complete reinstall.

DO NOT enable component logging, I have no idea where you got the idea that you should. DO enable debug logging. Reboot twice before creating logs. Select the option to upload all logs in MyOSMC.

ok… standby for about an hour.

Ok, here you go.

http://paste.osmc.tv/zovudidofe

Important note…the URL presented on the screen had a single blank inserted between the trailing / and the z. I’m assuming that’s a buglet so I didn’t include the space in the above.

Anything further on this?

Is this occurring on both devices or just one?

Sam

both

I think it’s unlikely both devices would be problematic.

I’ll check the logs shortly.

Sam

Ok thanks. I appreciate the help, BTW they both developed the same affliction right after I believe it was the October update. Both are consistently presenting the same symptoms although the other device seems to lockup to a grey screen a bit more frequently. Stuttering video is present on both all the time. It’s especially obvious in the news crawls.

Did you try installing an older version to see if this remedied the situation?

Sam

If you set the following does this make the stutter go away?

Settings>Player>Videos>Adjust display refresh rate>[On start/stop]

As for the buffer can you explain what your network setup looks like. Is everything hard wired with ethernet cables or is there powerline adapters, wireless bridges, or ???.