Vero 4K+ Ethernet stopped working

Hi folks (ping @sam_nazarko ),

I updated one of my Vero 4K+ deviecs today from the December 2023 release to the latest. A while after, the Ethernet has decided to stop working.

Initially I couldn’t get any connection on Ethernet or WiFi. I tried Enabling and Disabling the adapter in My OSMC, reconnected all cables, did hard power cycles, etc. Nothing helped.

When selecting Automatically configure the network toggle, I get a message about an uncaught exception. Here’s what the kodi.log file mentions:

2024-04-07 22:42:37.409 T:3395    error <general>: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                                    - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                                   Error Type: <class 'TypeError'>
                                                   Error Contents: 'NoneType' object is not subscriptable
                                                   Traceback (most recent call last):
                                                     File "/usr/share/kodi/addons/script.module.osmcsetting.networking/resources/lib/osmcnetworking/networking_gui.py", line 531, in onAction
                                                       self.update_current_ip_settings(WIRED_IP_VALUES)
                                                     File "/usr/share/kodi/addons/script.module.osmcsetting.networking/resources/lib/osmcnetworking/networking_gui.py", line 995, in update_current_ip_settings
                                                       self.current_network_config[self.internet_protocol]['Address'] = ip_address
                                                   TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not subscriptable
                                                   -->End of Python script error report<--

Initially WiFi didnt’ work either, but I did manage to finally get it to connect over WiFi. But Ethernet continues to not work. Everything was working fine before, physical hardware wise, nothing has changed in a long time.

Any idea what the deal might be here?

Could a config file maybe have gotten a bit out of wack with the update, is there any way for me to clear the ethernet config on the CLI perhaps?

And/or is there a way I can re-install the latest updates to make sure they applied properly? the Apt logs appear to note everything completing okay…

Thanks

p.s.

FWIW, the device appears, for now, to otherwise be working fine over WiFi.

One other interesting issue is after mucking around with this stuff in my OSMC, I can no longer exit from my OSMC. Hitting the exit button does nothing. I had to do a mediacenter restart from the CLI.

Did you try sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade from the terminal? If that doesn’t fix it up you would need to supply logs for anyone to gain insight into what may be going on.

Do you see the Ethernet light illuminated on the switch or router you’re connecting to?

Yep, first thing I did :slight_smile:

The router doesn’t have lights for the ethernet ports.

I did try one more thing and oddly that seems to have magically fixed things. I swapped the ethernet port with another device in the house. Just a straight swap, nothing else… and both devices are now happy. :man_shrugging:

Thanks for the advice folks, but we seem to be all good and back to normal now.