Vero 4k+, Fire Stick 4k and mysql

Hi,

Have the above devices and wanted to sync watched status, progress etc between the two, which from a bit of checking, it seems mysql seems the best way. Is there a tutorial or can someone give me a few pointers please? The vero will be server and fire stick the client.

TIA

I would recommend trakt.tv and would suggest it’s a better solution as you never lose your watched status if your database becomes corrupt, reinstall, etc…

Yeh, I do use that anyway but more as a permanent record of stuff I have watched, but I’d also like to sync where I am iin a program which it doesn’t do as far as I know

The Trakt add-on will do that but I don’t think the option is enabled by default. MySQL is going to be a bit involved. If Trakt isn’t quite enough you might look into this other add-on before committing yourself to a more complicated setup…

The only thing mysql is going to add that these other addons don’t do is the ability to add something to the library on one unit and have it show up automatically on the other. You didn’t mention that specifically in your original post, so I thought it might be worth pointing out. I’d agree with what someone else said. The mysql db option can get a little complicated, and it’s even worse if you want to migrate your existing library or (as you do) you have two different kind of client devices. So I’d avoid it unless you really need it.

Thanks. Guessing if I do a manual library update on client, it should appear in the library yep?

What exactly it is that your asking here is not entire clear to me but if your using either Trakt or that other add-on to to sync watched status between devices that are running standalone libraries then you will have to run library updates on every client for them to pick up the newest content. Additionally with the Trakt add-on you will need that add-on run in order for it to sync watched status (either manually or by running a library update and having it set to run after the library update). It is not quite as slick as a MySQL setup where you can just stop playback on a device in one room and just hit play in the next room and have it automatically ask if you want to resume playback without any other intervention, but it does work. Syncing from an add-on also means that you can configure everything from within Kodi and your source paths are not important. Just getting an existing MySQL going on a Fire stick is a PITA as you have to run an app to get FTP access and then manually create files on a PC and then transfer them to that device.

How so? Are you just referring to differing file paths? I’m just asking as I’ve had my MySQL database running Kodi on OSMC, LibreELEC, Raspbian, Windows, Linux Mint, Android (Samsung tablet), and Fire OS (Fire Stick and Fire TV) and not run into any issues doing so.

All up and running nicely. Already had trakt but hadn’t dug into the more advanced feature. Cheers for the support as otherwise I would have gone down a rabbit hole with sql and wasted time needlessly.

1 Like

Spoke too soon. Had initally added a test drive via upnp but after reading on here that it has a higher overhead, I switched to SMB, and now most file constantly buffer. ANy worksround for this ( i have increased cache on firestick) or should I switch back to upnp?

Thanks

I seriously doubt your going to find improvement to be had playing around with Kodi’s cache settings on a Fire Stick. Assuming your not trying to play something the device can’t handle I would be looking at trying to improve your network connection speed between the file source and your playback device.

Yea, the library paths are the big one. And if you have two different kind of devices, you do have to be thoughtful about how you set sources. If you use /mnt on OSMC but then have a Windows machine, you can’t use that. So you either need to use the built-in Kodi NFS/SMB or you are going to have to learn about path substitutions.

Those aren’t insurmountable, but they are definitely advanced Kodi knowledge.

1 Like

Seemed there are 2 ways to add SM shares to Kodi client by Zeroconf: server (SAMBA), or Samba Shares on Kodi (samba).

The 2nd option works great and now no buffering