Vero 4k+ freezing and stuttering since August update

This has started happening on 4k atmos MKVs since the August update, (wired network connection), and never happened before. When it freezes a small circle appears in the middle of the screen and starts counting 1 2…

If a rewind a minute or so it plays on.

Not good

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Will have a go, as it seems a random occurance may take a while.

I managed to turn on logging and reporduce the problem quite rapidly. I then went to myOSMC menu and log upload and hit OK. It then went back to the myOSMC menu quite quickly, so wonder if it did it ? Also where would I find the uploaded log ?

Thanks

If it uploaded correctly it would have given you a URL on the screen, starting with “https://paste.osmc.tv/”. You would then put that URL into a post here.

1 Like

https://paste.osmc.tv/ofiwabaqem

Seems to happen at random times, sometimes the same somethimes others. NEVER had it before the August update.

Why do you have your GUI set to 24Hz? Suggest to set it to 1080p60hz and Adjust Refresh to On Start/Stop instead than just Start.

Other than that your logs are full of these, maybe @grahamh has an idea where that comes from

[ 1322.765682] GFH video_contrast_store contrast 0 vd1_contrast 0
[ 1322.767245] GFH video_contrast_store contrast 0 vd1_contrast 0
[ 1322.768802] GFH video_contrast_store contrast 0 vd1_contrast 0
[ 1322.770385] GFH video_contrast_store contrast 0 vd1_contrast 0
[ 1322.771936] GFH video_contrast_store contrast 0 vd1_contrast 0
[ 1322.773479] GFH video_contrast_store contrast 0 vd1_contrast 0
[ 1322.775071] GFH video_contrast_store contrast 0 vd1_contrast 0
[ 1322.776637] GFH video_contrast_store contrast 0 vd1_contrast 0
[ 1322.778204] GFH video_contrast_store contrast 0 vd1_contrast 0

@kdp99: Does .DoVi. mean this is a Dolby Vision video?

Why do you have your GUI set to 24Hz? Suggest to set it to 1080p60hz and Adjust Refresh to On Start/Stop instead than just Start.

Will do but I have NEVER changed this since I got the Vero. I did find the August update had messed with my audio settings. This was easy to spot and fix as it disabled atmos. Perhaps it caused this as well ?

@kdp99: Does .DoVi. mean this is a Dolby Vision video?

Not sure, would seem logical - is that a problem. I have copied media info below.

Thanks to both for replied

Video
ID : 1
ID in the original source medi : 4113 (0x1011)
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@High
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration : 1 h 57 min
Bit rate : 52.5 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.264
Stream size : 43.2 GiB (94%)
Language : English
Default : No
Forced : No
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : SMPTE ST 2084
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primar : R: x=0.708000 y=0.292000, G: x=0.170000 y=0.797000, B: x=0.131000 y=0.046000, White point: x=0.312700 y=0.329000
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0050 cd/m2, max: 4000.0000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level : 2971 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Le : 112 cd/m2

Can you check whether your mediainfo is latest/greatest version?
Since version 20.9 Dolby Vision should be shown but only in the tree view at the Video → HDR format item, see Dolby Vision and Mediainfo HDR Format - www.makemkv.com

AfaIk Dolby Vision isn’t supported by OSMC and Veros. But the right mediainfo version will shed some light whether this is the case at all, here.

Addition: Checked my mediainfo version 21.03 and it shows Video → HDR Format: Dolby Vision … also in the text view.

I do, and working on it, but I don’t find it affects playback here.

1 Like

It is indeed dobly vision. It seems pure bad luck that since the update, the one and only dolby vision file I have ever watched was the first one since the update.

I shall make the GUI changed suggested and see how it goes.

Thanks for the help.

I have set the refresh rate to 60Hz, but can’t find how to set

Adjust Refresh to On Start/Stop instead than just Start

That’s under Settings / Player / Videos.

Many thanks, I made those changes and played just one the segment of the film that caused the problem before and it was fine now.

I understand dolby vision is not supported, but it might at least make things better ?

The issue here is that when you have refresh rate switching set to “on Start” then it only switches refresh rate AND RESOLUTION when you start playback of a new video or you restart Kodi. As such when you play a 4K video the UI gets stuck at 4K which then starts causing other problems up to and including refresh rate switching not working correctly. By switching to “on start/stop” or “always” it ensures that the UI is always returned to the set UI resolution thereby bypassing the 4K GUI problems. The update would not have changed this setting. I would venture a guess that you had it set to this before to minimize how often you got the black screen at the start of playback as the TV switched modes (which is the one thing this setting is actually useful for) but just didn’t notice what it was doing as I don’t think it cause quite as many problems under Leia (going off what I’m seeing other post in the last few days).

Thanks for the explanation. The reason the GUI settings were set as that is much more simple, I had never changed them since I got the box months ago !