Vero 4k Freezing when cleaning video library

My Vero 4K is freezing every time I try and clean the video library now.

Have hopefully uploaded a picture of the frozen screen and the debugging log.

http://paste.osmc.tv/rogeyivono

Any help greatly appreciated

Regards Phil

P.S. Dont know if its related but occasionaly when resfreshing artist information, nothing would happen. And had a few “extended info script errors” latley, but the device would still function.

Your logs don’t show a freeze. Can you access the Vero via ssh at the time of such “freeze”?

I can access the hard drive via WinSCP if thats what you mean, managed to copy a file and delete file.

Can access via Yatse app, but will only play if I cast to my phone?

Screen is still stuck on display shown on picture on main display, remote is unresponsive, have to swith vero off at mains to get it back.

Does the log show anything wrong?

Than you should still be able to connect with a ssh client (e.g. putty) give it a try.

So you should be able to reboot via Yatse instead of pulling the power plug.

Not that I spotted it

It says it could take some time. Are you sure you are waiting long enough?

1 Like

Normally only takes less that a minute, and the white line would kinda always keep moving.

Buts this just dosn’t move?

Thank you,
I’m not sure what a a ssh Client is (Putty?)?

Will try reboot via Yaste next time, only use it when im in another room, so didnt give it a thought.
Thanks

https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/latest.html

Details regarding how to access the command line interface can be found here on our Wiki: Accessing the command line - General - OSMC

What type of drive are you using and how is it being powered?

Sorry, I’m not that proficient with all these terms.

I have got Putty on my WinSCP, was the first program that I managed to get working with Windows.
I used it to enable Bluetooth on the Vero4K, only to find it didn’t work well at all, the 1 out of 3 devices it connected to was choppy to say the least.

Anyway, was there any command that you wanted me to try with putty?

Its a Segate 1TB 2.5 External HDD USB3

Well if you still can login with SSH while the screen is frozen that would at least tell us that it is just the screen frozen and not the device and would allow more testing.

Does it have its own power supply? If not I would recommend trying it plugged in through a powered USB hub.

As for the SSH, if you are running an up to date Win 10 you don’t need to install any extra software as it now has a built in client. You can just bring up the Windows menu, type “cmd” and hit enter. At the command prompt type in “ssh osmc@[ip address]” and hit enter at which time it will ask for the password which is osmc. I think the first time you do this there might also be a prompt where you will have to type “yes” to add the ssh key to windows.

Id prefer not to use an external power supply if possible, has been working fine since April.

The SSH did work via cmd, but I’ve only used it the once before.

I mainly use WinSCP to update Movies, Tvshows and Music via windows, works well, but transfer rate is painfully slow.

I would recommend using a powered USB hub or you will likely at some point experience corruption of the drive.

Regardless this would still be a valid test to track down where the issue is coming from. You may also want to plug it into windows and run a chkdsk.

We are not looking to do file transfers, just get access to the terminal so i’m not sure where you think WinSCP comes in. The logs you grabbed look to be after the machine had been rebooted several times so any information about when it supposedly locked up during the file clean is gone. When it freezes if you can still establish a connection with SSH then you can type in…

grab-logs -A

…which should gather the logs and then return a url that you can post in this thread. This will hopefully show what is going on with the system prior to the freeze.

Shouldn’t this be abundantly clear somewhere, I’ve not seen anything about this issue?

And, Yes I do have a small amount of week sectors on the drive, doing a surface test at the moment!

In Reply to your quote that “with windows 10 I dont need to install any extra software”

I may need to repair my HDD .

Could someone tell me what Kodi files I need to save to retain the status of what films, tv shows I’ve watched?

I’ve got back up of the movie and tv show and music files, and can re-scrape the metadata if needed, and have extra artist info in separate folder, but not sure where the info of what I’ve have and haven’t watched is kept?

Hopefully I won’t need this, but just in case the HDD repair doesn’t go smoothly…

Regards Phil

The metadata is all kept in the Vero itself in ~/.kodi/userdata. You can replace the drive and retain everything as long as the new drive is using the exact same file path as the old drive. If you bring up the information screen on one of your videos and highlight the “refresh” you should see a file path for that item that i’m guessing is something like /media/something/movies/somevideo/somevideo.mkv so a new drive with the files named the same should only need the drive named the same so in the previous the drive would need to get named as “something” so it looks to be the same as the old one. Alternatively you could manually make a system mount to force this, or you could add a path substitution to an advancedsetting.xml to redirect to the new location.