Vero 4K General Discussion

We played up to 600Mbps clips for demoing and testing the hardware. I don’t consider this typical however and don’t believe it will be the norm for a long, long time.

Gigabit Ethernet would be nice, as we could’ve ticked that box, but having gone down this path before, we have seen issues that we would have never expected (flow control).

Sam

I agree @sam_nazarko a 100 mbps Ethernet port should be enough for the foreseeable future.

@sam_nazarko can you say something about the performance increase (Vero 2 vs. Vero 3) [I know it depends on the scenario, but I just want to get a feeling. Has the “performance” grown 5% or 50%?]

@sam_nazarko What chroma subsampling does support HEVC encoding? Only 4:2:0? Or 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 are supported to?

What exactly means 4k ready?

Does the device support full 4k UHD up to 60hz, HDR, Dolby Vision?

HD-Audio means also DTS:X, Dolby Atmos?

And it would be cool to know exactly what CPU it is and what Mali GPU.

Thanks

As you already imagined, this depends on the workload on the device. IO bound operations should be much improved, as we now use eMMC storage. This provides really improved random write and read speed to the internal storage.

Video decoding capabilities (VPU) are also very improved: hence 4K playback and support for 10-bit HEVC and VP9.

Graphics performance is improved as well as CPU performance and tests (3DMark for example) show about a 1.5x improvement. Synthetic benchmarks rarely reflect real world performance, so we don’t use these numbers to represent the product. Simply put, you should find it fast, and we are exploring bringing a minimal desktop environment to take advantage of that.

Vero 4K will decode 4:2:0, 4:4:4 and 4:2:2.

Output (and whether it looks good) depends on your TV’s capabilities.

echo 2160p24hz420 > /sys/class/display/mode

could be used to adjust the video mode temporarily. It can be made persistent with a simple command line change, but we found that chroma doesn’t always look good depending on the display. We’ll try and pick sane defaults, but of course things will be tunable. It may not be possible for us to find a one-size-fits-all for this.

Atmos and DTS:X work. We know people have been after this for a while. No Dolby Vision.

HDR is supported, but may not always look good on your TV.

Vero 4K will do 4K60 decoding. You will need an HDMI 2.0 TV to get that output, as HDMI 1.4 is capped at 4K30. The device features a Quad Core A53 running at 1.6Ghz and a 5-core Mali-450MP GPU.

Sam

3 Likes

Just ordered it :smile: :wink:

I would rather see a decently implemented Netflix app or so running on the Vero natively.
reason I don’t like Android, it brings so much unneeded overhead (this in terms of software and apps running all the time).

1 Like

I would like to see this too but Netflix only allows 1080p and higher on Widevine Level 1 DRM certified devices if i am correct (Wetek Hub for example). So if you could get it to run natively (not Android) on the Vero 4K it would only do crap quality.

@sam_nazarko will the Vero 4K be Widevine Level 1 in Android?

No – our main focus is on OSMC, so we haven’t gone through Widevine. Doing this would make the device less customisable. For example, we wouldn’t be able to allow people to reinstall OSMC on their device and we would have to lock things down a lot, which is antithetical to the aims of OSMC.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification!

Can the Vero 3 display frame packed 3D? Are there any restrictions in displaying common 3D formats?

It won’t output frame packed 3D at this time
SBS and TB work.

We have MVC support (output as SBS), on Vero 2, but not everyone had good results. We might look further at this in the future, but most 3D content users have is in SBS which works. Unfortunately it seems that TV manufacturers have stopped producing new 3D TVs now.

Sam

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply Sam. Let’s hope it will become an option in the future if the hardware is capable of supporting it.

It’s indeed a sad thing to see the quick decline of 3D TVs although the gains in nits for the 3D-less LG Oled panels are probably more important now HDR is becoming the next big thing.

It currently isn’t a big issue for me and I’ve already ordered it.

1 Like

Android ?

Will the vero4k dual boot ?

Hi, is provided power adapter supports worldwide 100-240V 50/60Hz?
Another question regarding power plug, here, in Israel, we have type H socket, do you provide compatible plug or it would be enough to use any passive plug adapter?
Thank you for your time and efforts.

The V4k will arrive with the appropriate power supply and plug for your location.

1 Like

Thanks!

Just bought one also, I considered buying the Vero 2 but I already had the Raspberry Pi 2 at the time, even though I have a rbpi 3 now I think this Vero 3 will offer a great media improvement over my rbpi 3 and a great piece to my man cave, thx Sam.