Vero 4K H265 movies (8-bit encoded only?) - blacks show as grey, colours washed out (reduced colourspace)

Cinema Pro
Auto picture mode Off
Light sensor On

Brightness 18
Contrast 90
Gamma -2
Black level 50
Black adjust low
Adv. contrast enhancer Off

Colour 50
Hue 0
Colour temperature Expert 1
Adv. colour temperature
R-Gain -1
G-Gain -3
B-Gain -5
R-Bias 3
G-Bias 0
B-Bias -3
Colour space Auto
Live Colour Off

Sharpness 50
Reality Creation 20
Random noise reduction Off
Digital noise reduction Off

Motionflow True Cinema
Film mode Low

Thanks a lot! Can you pls. confirm that you are using HDMI 4 on the TV?

I do, am using ARC :slight_smile:

If you still got issues, you could try a factory reset, there are some hard resets described on avforums, I saw you posting there as well.

Hi @grahamh, @sam_nazarko,

Reporting another instance of the vero freezing. This time playback was of an h265 10bit file, resuming from a previously reached point.

Ssh stil worked, but attempts to Kill kodi.bin via Top (with sigterm 9) failed.

Issuing sudo reboot got as far as ‘reached target shutdown’ (as seen with attempts to reboot from a frozen YouTube stream).

Again, after 3 minutesor so, the screen blanked, then returned at the same point.

A power cycle was required.

Not sure if this is due to the test kernel, hence reporting it here.

Thanks,
RR

If it happens again, can you post a log?

Just type grab-logs -A and let us know URL

Cheers

Sam

If echo 8bitnow > /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr brings the picture back while the vid is paused then you are getting the same as me.

I have an idea, though…

I have updates on my own issue with dynamic range. I did a factory reset on the TV, and this issue is solved! Out of curiosity I spent some time identifying the root cause, and I think I have an explanation.

This TV got a replacement mainboard ~9 months ago, due to freezes and reboots on the original one (seems to be a typical issue with 2015 Sony Android TVs). This new mainboard came with a model number somewhat different from my actual model, suggesting a bigger screen size (75X8505C vs 55X8505C). The engineer who did the replacement installed the newest firmware, and AFTER that changed the model # in the service menu. Although the TV correctly reported itself as 55X8505C to the external world, in the Android About menu it still showed 75X8505C. After my doing the factory reset, it correctly displays the model number. My guess is that the bigger brother might have some other defaults loaded on factory reset, and this might have been the root cause. The other thing that suggests this is that I’ve re-done the calibration, and ended up with completely different color settings now than before.

All in all, I can confirm that there’s nothing wrong with Vero, it was my TV.

Thanks a lot to @grahamh for his efforts to help me out, and to @Theetjuh for his cross-checks and his recommendation on a factory reset!

3 Likes

Thanks Sam.

A couple of related questions:

1. Does logging have to be enabled in advance? If so, is this general or full debug logging?

2. I’m using a vpn on the vero; will the logs expose my username and password?

Thanks

Thanks Graham,

I’ll try running that command next time it freezes, and let you know the results.

It certainly doesn’t like skipping around a video using the seek bar or left/right on the remote.

1. It helps
  2. I don’t suspect so – but some add-ons leak data. Check your password in a post after upload. Crawlers can’t find your logs and the upload URL is random. So you shouldn’t be at risk.

Sam

If that only happens with HEVC content, then it’s a bug that I’m working on fixing. I need to reset the decoder on seek at worst case (poor man’s approach) or hope for microcode update from AMLogic.

Either way, it will be resolved soon, but I’m focusing on Kodi v18 now.

Sam

Hi Sam,

Should I leave general logging enabled, or debug logging (or both)?

I think I asked elsewhere in the thread, but can you tell me where the system writes the logs, so I can grep them before upload?

Many thanks

Hi,

I’m not sure regarding which file types I’ve seen the crash on; but maybe just H265. Probably an irrelevance with the shift to Kodi 18 - sounds like a big task.

Hopefully the kodi vpn add-on, and other general Debian utilities I have installed (such as veracrypt) will be compatible with Kodi 18.

Take care

They will be fine.

/home/osmc/.kodi/temp/kodi.log

You can turn on debug logging without seeing the overlay. See https://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Advanced#Turn_on_debugging_using_a_file_.28advancedsettings.xml.29.

1 Like

Osmc just froze whilst trying to play a youtube video. I issued echo 8bitnow > /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr
This briefly blanked the screen, but it returned to the list of videos, with the blue circular busy icon (also frozen)

Were you able to get a log?

Sam

Yes, I’m just inspecting it for passwords…

I issued ‘sudo shutdown -h now’, and as mentioned previously with ‘sudo reboot’, the vero stops at ‘reached target shutdown’. So, when a crash occurs, something prevents reboots or full shutdowns.

Reached Target Shutdown means the device is fully halted.
A reboot not working would suggest a kernel oops though. Log will tell us what’s going on.

Hi Sam,

I understand it’s reached init 0, but expected a power off (the display is still on, external hdd still spinning, and the led is still blue)

The log is at
[EDIT: removing link]

I didn’t have any logging enabled, as I hadn’t got around to checking the link you posted earlier regarding debug logging without the overlay.

I’ve now created the advancedsettings.xml and enabled debugging without on screen display.

Any idea how much thus will compromise performance?

Also, will this thrash the onboard storage with constant write cycles?