Vero 4K H265 movies (8-bit encoded only?) - blacks show as grey, colours washed out (reduced colourspace)

Hi RR

I am still working on this.
If it only affects HEVC content, then it limits the number of possible issues.

Fixable: probably yes. As for when, I have no firm ETA. I will revisit again this week after preparing for Kodi v18 beta 1.

Sam

There might be light at the end of the tunnel. Sam will be building a fix for this shortly.

Sounds promising, many thanks for the update @grahamh, and the hard work on chasing this down @sam_nazarko, @wesk05, and everybody involved.

Hi RR (and others) who are helping.

Can you try this kernel and see if it improves things:

Note that it includes some HDR changes, so it’s not ready for prime time just yet, but it would be good to know how you find this.

Cheers

Sam

1 Like

Hi Sam,

Many thanks for this.

Can you point me to insttuctions to revert to my current kernel after testing?

Can I assume all my custom add-ons etc won’t be removed?
Thanks,
RR

This only changes your kernel.

If the changes do not come to fruition,you can run:

wget http://apt.osmc.tv/pool/main/v/vero364-source-3.14.29-119-osmc/vero364-image-3.14.29-119-osmc_119_arm64.deb -O kernel.deb
sudo dpkg -i kernel.deb
rm kernel.deb
reboot

Cheers

Sam

1 Like

Hi Sam,

The instructions on the[TESTING] Vero 4K / 4K + video improvements]([TESTING] Vero 4K / 4K + video improvements) to obtain the update are:

wget https://collab.osmc.tv/s/m0i9Fn115V41fAv/download -O /home/osmc/kernel.deb
    sudo dpkg -i /home/osmc/kernel.deb
    rm /home/osmc/kernel.deb
    sudo reboot

However @bmillham’s instructions are:

Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
Add the following line: deb http://apt.osmc.tv stretch-devel main
Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot

Should I favour one or the other?

Sam’s instructions are to be used here :slightly_smiling_face: @bmillham deleted his instructions.

Yea, sorry. I misread your post and gave you instructions for how to install the test, not how to revert as you had asked for. My Bad :frowning:

@bmillham instructions will not work.
This is not pushed to staging.

Sam

No problems at all. Thanks @bmillham, @Chillbo, and @sam_nazarko.
Always best to clarify before starting!

Hi @sam_nazarko,

Apologies for the delay in testing, today was rather rough.

I’ve performed the update and things are looking good; all of the test files I uploaded to you previously are playing with what appear to be correct black levels.

I’ll need to find the original files and see how the movies which the clips were taken from look, and check system stability etc, but the update definitely looks promising.

Thanks for all the effort that’s gone into investigating and working to resolve this, it’s really appreciated.

Information for completeness:

Pre-update, uname -a

Linux Osmc_Vero_4K 3.14.29-113-osmc #1 SMP Wed Aug 1 22:08:39 UTC 2018 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Commands used to update the kernel:

wget https://collab.osmc.tv/s/m0i9Fn115V41fAv/download -O /home/osmc/kernel.deb

sudo dpkg -i /home/osmc/kernel.deb

rm /home/osmc/kernel.deb 

sudo reboot

Post update, uname -a:

Linux Osmc_Vero_4K 3.14.29-119-osmc #1 SMP Mon Sep 10 19:43:38 UTC 2018 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Kodi | Settings | System Information
Kodi 17.6
Compiled jul 30 2018

All tests on a 1080p monitor. No hdr. No 4k.

I’ll post observations as i find them.

On reboot, i get a dialogue in osmc with a red ‘X’ icon and ‘updates error’. The same occurs if I go to My Osmc and try a manual update.

I’m assuming this is due to using a test kernel

I’ve tested a few of the original movies which had the colourspace issues, and so far they look fine.

I’ve also tried a few 10bit h265, and random x264 files, which also look good.

Glad it’s fixed. Thanks for your patience and helping us resolve it

Good stuff @grahamh

1 Like

Can you show a quick photo and upload a log?

Hi

I switched Debug logging on, then tried an update to get the error. I then switched off debug logging.

Please remind me how to upload the logs, and the command to take a screen grab (sorry, getting tired and forgetful)

Excellent work everyone, @sam_nazarko, @wesk05, @grahamh, thank you

Scratch that, I’ve located the relevant help page. Will try to upload soon

I thought the error was due to my Vpn being enabled (Mint Linux’s auto update mechanism also fails when a vpn is on).

I disabled it and was able to download updates without the error.

i re-enabled the vpn, but now cannot replicate the error (which persisted across reboots before)
Thinking further, the error was shown immediately after a reboot, well before the vpn auto loads.

I assume I should refrain from installing updates, as they’ll wipe out the colourspace fix until it’s merged into the core branch?

Can you tell me where the last log file will have been created? [EDIT I have used the Log Uploader option ‘copy selected logs to SD card’]