Vero 4k+ HDR Optimizer?

First let me say I am a Vero 4k+ owner/lover
Got the Vero in October for my birthday, and its pretty much perfect. Works amazing, supports everything, remote is fantastic, best media player for local files around so thanks Sam and team!

Now my question is likely been covered but not couldn’t find it specifically so i figured I would throw up the question.

I was reading about the Panasonic DP-UB820 4k Blu-ray player that allows you to set a display unit type (for my case a JVC X570 (RS420 equivalent) and then allows the player to be enabled for HDR optimisation. I am sure you guys know better of what its actually doing but some demos I have seen are very impressive.

Is this remotely possible to achieve in the Vero? I posted this here in General Discussion as I wasnt sure if it was possible so didnt want to put it in the Feature requests section.

Sorry if this is a re-ask of a feature and look forward to your comments Sam and others.

Hi,

Can you explain what optimisation settings are being made available on the Blu-ray player? Perhaps a couple of photos of the settings will help us understand what you mean

Cheers

Sam

It adjusts max brightness, have a look at this video: https://youtu.be/oTw_Toh0PzA

This is exactly the video i was going to post for Sam, thanks Theetjuh and the one I watched that got me looking into this. The great part about the feature is when he compares the function of the Panny player vs how the TV handles this. The TV just darkens the whole picture where the Players HDR optimizer function focuses on the bright areas without darkening the rest of the image.

We have been looking into this. If it can be done as 1-D LUTs then we should be able to do something similar fairly easily.

But we don’t want to spend time messing with kernel 3.14 so it’s part of the bump to 4.x which is also being worked on.

It would be indeed a great addition, but there are more important projects at the moment I guess like v18 and a newer kernel.

@grahamh Is there somewhere I should log this so its tracked for work once the move to 4.x happens, just let me know.

Thanks all for the quick replies!

No need – just give us a nudge on this post after 4.x release and we will revisit and assess how to best achieve this.

At the moment we are in a little bit of a limbo, but there are major improvements coming.

Sam

Awesome thanks Sam much appreciated!!

+1. It would be great to have Tone Mapping settings that could be saved on a per title basis, like we can with Brightness and Contrast.

We know it would :smiley: But that would need a hack to Kodi’s database so not sure if it’s doable.

I have an idea. Let’s discuss in MM