Vero 4K+ Kodi 19.4 plexkodiconnect - reboot when video ends

I’ve owned my Vero 4k+ for just over a year now, just prior to the Kodi 19 release.

I made the switch from OpenPHT, so I settled on running plexkodiconnect with the Aeon Nox Silvo skin. I’m also using a Flirc as I found the native Vero IR experience with an emitter a bit slow.

All was working fine under Kodi 18, however, since the move to 19 (all versions), I’ve been experiencing a crash / reboot every time a video ends – or to be more exact when it reaches the end of it’s duration time. It’s fine if I stop before the end of the video (assuming the % complete time isn’t within the tolerance to be marked as played).

The issue seems to be skin independent. I’ve tried changing skins, Estuary, OSMC, but that hasn’t made a difference. I also reinstalled the latest build today (via the usb following the instructions), but that hasn’t resolved it.

I switched on debug logging, rebooted twice per the instructions, reproduced the issue and I’ve attached the log… Debug log

I’m also running the same setup, minus OSMC, on a Win 10 machine without issues. I actually upgraded that first to check if Kodi Matrix was going to cause any issues for me.

I’ve searched the forum and it doesn’t appear to be a common problem, so any help and advice tracking down the cause would be very gratefully received :grinning:

After you did the clean install did you restore your userdata from a backup or setup from scratch? Does it still do it if you remove the advancedsettings.xml your using?

I restored from a backup, which I know isn’t ideal. I’ve spent a lot of time customising Aeon Nox shortcuts and didn’t fancy setting it up again. I have thought about removing everything apart from the skin customisations and backing up or just copying the skin configs to manually add back into a clean install (which is probably easier).

I did notice the most recent osmc backup is a lot smaller at cira 16mb as opposed to an older one I had which was 85mb. I also use the kodi backup tool in the repository as an extra precaution to backup everything.

I tried renaming advancedsettings.xml and rebooted, but that didn’t make a difference.

I have been trying to disable various addons over the last few days in case that made a difference, so I think can rule out the embuary helper scripts, which is did see in the log returned an error. I’ve also tried a few different versions of PKC from 3.0 to the latest build, but that hasn’t made a difference, plus I’ve gone through almost all of the PKC settings disabling / changing them one by one and restarting / testing - so far no difference.

I would restore to clean Kodi user data, install PKC again, and then see if you can reproduce. If not then you could pull some files over from your backup to reduce the work on the reconfigure. I’m pretty sure I’ve read a recommend from the PKC dev to clean install after every major Kodi version since they are doing some hacky stuff to make it work the way it does (which is also why it isn’t in the official Kodi repo).

To test with Kodi default settings enter the following commands with an SSH connection.

systemctl stop mediacenter
mv ~/.kodi ~/kodi.bak
systemctl start mediacenter

If needed you can restore:

systemctl stop mediacenter
mv ~/.kodi ~/kodi.bk2
mv ~/kodi.bak ~/.kodi
systemctl start mediacenter

If your original setup was restored as expected and you want get rid of the unneeded clean install you can delete that with the following command.

rm -r ~/kodi.bk2

Thanks, I’ll give it a go over the weekend and report back :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Just a quick update.

I didn’t get a chance to start from scratch until this week and the good news is I’m up and running again without crashes :grinning:

This time I set up most of it manually, apart from the Aeon Nox skin and I tested the Vero after each addon was installed – in case I needed to isolate the problem, but I’m happy to report it all went smoothly.

Thanks again for the help :sunglasses:

1 Like

Glad to hear this.

1 Like