Vero 4K+ messes with ARC

I have what is probably a similar issue on one of my setups. In my case i’m pretty sure it is the soundbar that is at fault. When I would switch inputs from my Dish Joey to my Raspberry Pi and try to play PCM audio with normal audio settings I would get no sound. I could toggle the setting in my TV to switch between auto and PCM input, and the sound would always come back. The solution I found to overcome this annoyance was to turn on passthrough and AC3 transcoding so Kodi never sent out PCM audio, and the soundbar never got confused about what type of audio it was receiving.

You can already upload logs quite easily via My OSMC.

Thanks darwnindesign. Did this happen every time? My son just listend to the audio book which caused the problem some days ago and to another without any problems.

so, the solution was to activate “allow passthrough” and “dolby digital (AC3) capable receiver” under “system settings | audio”?

Thanks, Markus

In my case it happened every time I switched my TV input from my satellite to Kodi and played something with LPCM audio. I never bothered digging into finding the exact cause, so I really don’t want to detail what I think, but don’t actually know, is why the behavior is occurring. If I left my TV on my Kodi input then there was no issues. It’s 100% consistent and reproducible though, and so was the workaround.

The settings used to make the change is to first change your settings mode to “advanced” in the bottom left of the settings>system screen. Then in settings>system>audio you set the following…

Number of channels> 2.0
Allow passthrough> (enabled)
Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver> (enabled)
Enable Dolby Digital (AC3) transcoding> (enabled)

If your attached to a TV then all the other passthrough options should be disabled. These settings will make Kodi output all audio as AC3 instead of LPCM.

Thanks darwindesign. I’ll give it a try.

I experienced two problems related to ARC:

The more annoying one: I lost audio over ARC when watching TV or Netflix on my TV set when the Vero 4k was connected to my TV set. Everything was okay as long as I did not connect the Vero 4k. Please note, that in this scenario I wasn’t even watching anything on the Vero; it was idle and only connected to the TV set.
I haven’t experienced this problem since quite some time (but I was also travelling a lot and not always present when the family was watching).
The problem is more annoying since it required to reboot the TV, unplug HDMI in order to get audio back.
I’m not sure if the issue is really fixed and if so what fixed the issue. Triggered by a comment of you (darwindesign) I reset all HDMI connections on my TV set and triggered an auto-recognition as explained here:

As reported in my above post I found it strange that it took the TV set some time to identify the Vero but immediately and correctly recognized all other components.

The less annoying problem is the one described above: I’m switching to the Vero to, eg., listen to an audio book and there is no sound. Or, I’m watching two videos on the Vero and audio gets lost when starting the second video. This does not happen all the time and is – as mentioned before – easier to fix.

M

I think in my instance (which I am using optical S/DIF from my TV, not ARC) the issue probably revolves around my soundbar not seeing the audio format change. If you are losing audio between playing two videos without anything else changing in between that seems different. Have you tried a different hdmi cable for the one that is plugged into your Vero? It is probably a stab in the dark but I wonder if maybe the CEC communication lines in your current cable might be a bit marginal.

I tested several different HDMI cables.

I’ll try to test your suggestion to see if this helps:

I’ll report the results but this will take some time.

M

1 Like

Mea culpa!

A few months ago, I replaced the rather old Philips Home Entertainment System HTS 72002 with a new Yamaha soundbar YAS-209.Since then all problems have disappeared.

I really like the YAS-209, but it is only my second dedicated sound system so far. The HTS 72002 was at least 10 years old. I only replaced it because the DVD drawer couldn’t be opened anymore.

I’ve had the YAS-209 for about three months, and I haven’t had any failures or other problems so far.
I only replaced the sound system and left everything else unchanged (all other components are plugged in via HDMI as before). If I had to speculate, I would guess that the old HTS 72002 can’t cope with changes in audio format… but that’s just a guess.

Best, Markus

1 Like

Thanks for getting back to us with an update.

Sam

Here’s another update, that should suit you better Sam if you haven’t already seen it :

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/1929089-official-owners-thread-2015-lg-55eg9600-65eg9600-4k-123.html#/topics/0?postid=59506930

This issue was fixed for me after the august update!

I am the original poster of this topic two years ago. The only solution that worked for me before the update was unplugging the Vero4K+ after every use. Otherwise the ARC got locked almost immediately. Very annoying, but I tried a lot of different options including the stand by feature. Nothing helpt. So I gave up trying. Maybe this helpt other people with the same problem.

Hey everyone, I wish I found this forum earlier or read something about Vero / ARC / soundbar. I had no idea that this could happen. Here’s my story, and I’ll try to make it quick:

1. Last year I bought an LG OLED tv and installed it. Loved it!
  2. Months later, My Vizio soundbar stopped working after a power outage.
  3. Nothing would make it work again, so I bought a Nakamichi setup.
  4. Same problems, frustrating. LG sent a tech to swap out the TV’s mainboard.
  5. LG sent more techs, after two more visits they gave up and bought the TV back from me (refunded my purchase price and wanted a photo of the cut in half serial sticker).
  6. Bought a Sony Bravia OLED. Ugh - same ARC issues with the TV + Nakamichi
  7. Spent weeks trying to diagnose with Sony & Nakamichi. Nakamichi even had me mail the soundbar to them for diagnostics - everything checked out OK.
  8. Gave up and bought a Sony soundbar - figuring “apples to apples” would work together properly.
  9. Last night had the same issues - tried all sorts of things and discovered that leaving the Vero unplugged let the soundbar work perfectly, even after powering the TV off and then back on (which is where the ARC problems would start).
  10. Googled “vero arc soundbar” and found issues.

So my solution, which worked out well and seems to have solved the problem, is to add a “CEC blocker” between the Vero and the TV. This doesn’t degrade the signal at all and everything just works! Here’s the adapter I added to make my life happy again:

So a $15 adapter solved my issues, and would have saved me hundreds of dollars and countless hours of wasted troubleshooting, along with dealing with LG, Sony, and Nakamichi.

Hope this helps someone else out as it sure made my life better after adding that adapter.

Dennis

Wow, I can’t believe you did all that!
You can just modify an existing HDMI cable too.
I’ve done it before, it’s pretty easy.
KILL PIN 13!!!

I bought the same piece for use with my Vero and my new Pioneer AVR.
The Vero was wreaking havoc when it was plugged in, even though I have always run it with CEC disabled.
Using that BlueRigger, all is fine.

I’ve been having this problem too but on latest version and still not fixed. So frustrating as if I forget to unplug hdmi, TV will have no sound passing to my Sony AVR (or through TV speakers).
Tried everything possible, definitely the Vero and no settings seem to make any difference.

Edit.: Just seen the post a couple up about the CEC blocking adapter. Will order one and test