Vero 4K + network speed major disappointment

Right, so now the Vero4K is so slow so that I can’t even SSH in via ethernet anymore. Will try activating the wifi.

We can solve that for you (either HW replacement if faulty); or software. I am working on the issue.

Sam

OK. I guess you need some way of testing the units for the issue before doing replacements.

I also purchased the new vero (i still have the previous one) and the network speed is worst than the previous!!!

It is very disappointing. I it impossible to view via the network any mkv file larger than app 4 GB.

I also purchased the new vero (i still have the previous one) and the network speed is worst than the previous!!!

It is very disappointing. I it impossible to view via the network any mkv file larger than app 4 GB.

Where can the rest of us get this patch to test please ?

We will resolve this. The options are:

• Hardware replacement
  • Refund
  • Fixed via software update

I need a couple of days to get some affected equipment back and investigate this.

Thanks

Sam

I replied to your other post. If possible, let’s keep things in one place.

We will resolve this. The options are:

• Hardware replacement
  • Refund
  • Fixed via software update

I need a couple of days to get some affected equipment back and investigate this.

Thanks

Sam

Dear Sam,

Let me know where I should ship it back in order for you to check it?

Thanks,
Dimitri

Dear Sam,

Any reply??? Should I send you back my Vero 4K+ than is not properly working??

Thanks,
Dimitri

Just received my Vero 4K+ and pleased to report all is well (Netgear switch shows gigabit light, Apple router, ancient 5e patch panel). Very snappy performance, similar results each way:

osmc@Vero4KPlus:~$ iperf3 -c 10.0.1.2
Connecting to host 10.0.1.2, port 5201
[  4] local 10.0.1.60 port 59113 connected to 10.0.1.2 port 5201
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth       Retr  Cwnd
[  4]   0.00-1.00   sec   111 MBytes   929 Mbits/sec    0    272 KBytes
[  4]   1.00-2.00   sec   112 MBytes   939 Mbits/sec    0    272 KBytes
[  4]   2.00-3.00   sec   112 MBytes   940 Mbits/sec    0    272 KBytes
[  4]   3.00-4.00   sec   112 MBytes   939 Mbits/sec    0    272 KBytes
[  4]   4.00-5.00   sec   112 MBytes   939 Mbits/sec    0    272 KBytes
[  4]   5.00-6.00   sec   112 MBytes   939 Mbits/sec    0    272 KBytes
[  4]   6.00-7.00   sec   112 MBytes   939 Mbits/sec    0    272 KBytes
[  4]   7.00-8.00   sec   112 MBytes   939 Mbits/sec    0    272 KBytes
[  4]   8.00-9.00   sec   112 MBytes   939 Mbits/sec    0    272 KBytes
[  4]   9.00-10.00  sec   112 MBytes   940 Mbits/sec    0    272 KBytes
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth       Retr
[  4]   0.00-10.00  sec  1.09 GBytes   938 Mbits/sec    0             sender
[  4]   0.00-10.00  sec  1.09 GBytes   937 Mbits/sec                  receiver
2 Likes

Sorry – I didn’t get a chance to reply to yet as it’s been busy around here.

If you’d like to return it, we can replace it for you. However at this stage there is no guarantee the replacement will fair any better until I can work out what the issue is. I should have an affected switch and affected device in my hands in a day or two. I can then hopefully draw an accurate conclusion as to what’s happened by the end of the week.

Many thanks

Sam

Is their anything I can do to test the speed and provide you a report?

Ok – have you not tested the speed yet?

You can run an iperf test to check things.
If you can try on a different switch or router that would also be helpful.

How long is your Ethernet cable?

Sorry for so many questions.

Also my Vero 4k+ shows a good network throughput.

osmc@vero4kplus:~$ dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=1K | nc 192.168.178.23 12345
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB, 1.0 GiB) copied, 11.9282 s, 90.0 MB/s

and vv:

dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=1K | nc 192.168.178.21 12345
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
1073741824 bytes transferred in 9.623271 secs (111577637 bytes/sec)

Between the Vero and the other machine traffic goes through 2 Gigabit Sweex switches (connected via a 50+ mtr cable) and 1 FritzBox 7390 router.

2 Likes

Thanks for these posts chaps.

A few users are affected. This is a very small number of users. But I need to work out whether it’s hardware or software related. It would be futile to send a new unit out to only find users are still affected. It would also be frustrating for these users.

We’ve seen some positive reports from patches so far as well as simple changes such as changing switch; which suggests that we may have a driver issue on our hands for the majority of the (still < 10) customers affected.

In a few days we should have a better understanding of what’s going on. I will make sure that everyone who’s experiencing issues achieves the resolution they would like, whether that’s in the form of new hardware; a refund; or a software update

Thanks for your patience

Cheers

Sam

1 Like

Sam I have already the previous Vero 4K version and it works well (except large 4K mkv files) so I just plugged the new Vero 4K+ to the existing HDMI & ethernet cable that the previous Vero 4K was utilizing.

The result was disappointing. With the new Vero 4K+ i was expecting a better speed but instead as already mentioned any mkv file larger than 3/4 GB the Vero 4K+ was unable to reproduce. So it does not make sense for the previous version of Vero to work well and the new one nothing!!!

How do I run a iperf test? the Ethernet cables that I use are cat6 shield (the largest and best in the industry & all the plugs are also shield).

I will help you with this in more detail tomorrow and post some updates shortly.

Cheers

Sam

Similar to the other recent posts, but may as well throw this into the mix.

Previously - Kodibox, SMB from a Win10 box, fully wired. No buffering, instant start, instant skip, etc.

Swapped Kodibox out, Vero4k in. Initially setup as SMB through Kodi. Horribly slow to do anything, scanning library took for ever. Removed SMB, swapped to FSTAB. Still horribly slow.

Browsing the library is slow, images take a moment to show up, leaving blank spaces. Start a film, 1080P MKV, and I might get 2 minutes before it drops to “buffering” and never resumes. Might not get anything but “buffering”.

I have; reset router, assigned fixed IP, ran IPERF. I have tried all 3 versions of SMB under FSTAB.

IPERF shows speed from server is fine. Speed from Vero to the server is awful. Speed from previous Kodibox is fine both ways.

WIFI is fine. But I don’t get a WIFI signal near my TV, so that’s no good to me. IPERF over WIFI is fine in both directions.

Logs:
http://paste.osmc.tv/oyuxenafup
http://paste.osmc.tv/arogohafos

Given it works over WIFI and the hardwire works on the previous Kodibox to the same server, with the same wires, I’m led to conclude this is likely either a Vero ethernet hardware or OS issue.

Should help if you would show the iperf output.
Also please list down switch/router brand/model