Vero 4K + network speed major disappointment

Ok thanks, I’ll give that a try … hopefully that’ll help.

I’ve sent you a couple of PMs, let me know if you haven’t received them.

Sam

Hi Sam - sorry I didn’t get back to you earlier. No, I haven’t seen any PMs within the last two hours.
Mike

Ah - I was looking in the wrong place. I’ve got 'em.

No sweat. Discourse can be confusing to start with.

Sam

Hi @sam_nazarko, any luck with this? If there are units with faulty network cards, do you have a way of identifying them?

I received my unit yesterday and have the same bad performance over ethernet. Tried various ethernet cables and directly connected it to my main Netgear 1GB switch, to rule out bad cabling/switches. Same spotty performance behaviour. To rule out bad cables/wiring further, connected my laptop to the same cables, where it performed as should, with near Gb speeds.

When using wifi, speeds are more then good enough to stream Plex 4K material.

Conclusion: there is something wrong with the ethernet adapter. Asked for a replacement unit.

It’s looking more and more like there are a number of duff units out there, with faulty ethernet. Several of us have checked directly connecting to routers, of different brands, with the same issue.

The fact that one Vero works perfectly in a network and a second doesn’t in the exact same environment is fairly conclusive, to my mind. That’s a hardware fault.

The fact that one box has the fault, but works perfectly with an external ethernet adaptor, also looks like a hardware fault.

Reporting in: received my device this week. Plugged it in and was very disappointed. Failed to play my video’s, tv-series and live tv.
Scoured the forum for solutions… Switching from wired to Wifi network seemed to solve the problems.

Ethernet problem is confirmed as far as i am concerned.

Wonder how many people connected only by Wifi unknowingly have the same issue?

I have the same issue. Did elaborate testing with various cables, switches and direct attached 4k+ to main Netgear 1Gbs switch, although it had to be a problem with the ethernet adapter in the 4k+, as all other mediaplayers (like chromecast ultra’s and older HTPC) did never have a problem with connection speeds.
As it is not with all units, I suspect some poor board attachment of the ethernet adapter. IT’s time to get some units back to your office, Sam, and inspect them yourself.

I’m getting a problematic switch and unit back this week. I’ll keep you updated.

I’ve sent a patch to two users. One user is now reporting good speeds (900Mbps).

Sam

2 Likes

I’m still working on this. I’m not convinced the issue is hardware related yet.

Probably not many. It still looks like less than 10 devices affected. Given the number we’ve shipped out, I’m not too worried.

One user has reported the issue as solved after trying some improvements I made available yesterday.

I should have an ‘affected’ unit and switch back in a few days.

If you have a patch, I’m happy to test it.

Type:

wget https://collab.osmc.tv/s/DcHUizmQGhXSQ2n/download -O dtb.img
sudo dd if=dtb.img of=/dev/dtb bs=256k conv=sync
reboot

If working – your LED should remain red.
You should then find networking in the TX side to be more usable. If you can burst > 100Mbps, I don’t think it’s a hardware issue; but timing related.

Cheers

The light is red, but has not fixed it…

Connecting to host 10.0.1.2, port 5201
[ 4] local 10.0.1.59 port 39195 connected to 10.0.1.2 port 5201
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth Retr Cwnd
[ 4] 0.00-1.00 sec 77.8 KBytes 636 Kbits/sec 3 1.41 KBytes
[ 4] 1.00-2.00 sec 0.00 Bytes 0.00 bits/sec 1 1.41 KBytes
[ 4] 2.00-3.00 sec 0.00 Bytes 0.00 bits/sec 1 1.41 KBytes
[ 4] 3.00-4.00 sec 0.00 Bytes 0.00 bits/sec 0 1.41 KBytes
[ 4] 4.00-5.00 sec 0.00 Bytes 0.00 bits/sec 0 1.41 KBytes
[ 4] 5.00-6.00 sec 0.00 Bytes 0.00 bits/sec 0 1.41 KBytes
[ 4] 6.00-7.00 sec 1.41 KBytes 11.6 Kbits/sec 3 1.41 KBytes
[ 4] 7.00-8.00 sec 0.00 Bytes 0.00 bits/sec 1 1.41 KBytes
[ 4] 8.00-9.00 sec 0.00 Bytes 0.00 bits/sec 0 1.41 KBytes
[ 4] 9.00-10.00 sec 0.00 Bytes 0.00 bits/sec 1 1.41 KBytes

[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth Retr
[ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 79.2 KBytes 64.9 Kbits/sec 10 sender
[ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 1.41 KBytes 1.16 Kbits/sec receiver

Just to confirm, this was in the TX direction?
Interesting @Nightcustard went from about 10-15Mbps to 200Mbps with the above patch. Still far from ideal, but suggested that there might be some incompatibility here.

I think we might be looking at a couple of issues here.

There’s one guy who almost certainly has a hardware issue; and a couple of other users that can get the correct speed with a change in environment, i.e. changing switch. I’m investigating both.

I’ll give you a ping as it would be good to get your unit back and have a look at it.

This is the output from the Vero, with the iperf3 server running on my NAS.

OK – thanks for confirming.