VERO 4K+ november update and Pioneer receiver no friends anymore

I appreciate the time and effort. Let me know if there is anything I can do to provide more info.

1 Like

I might have a related problem. I am using a Pioneer VSX-922 on an LG TV. My Vero 4K comes up and shows Kodi, but once I start a video, the screen turns black. I do get audio when disabling passthrough, though. This behaviour started right after the November upgrade which I ran today. I did try the sudo fw_setenv hdmimode and sudo fw_setenv outputmode commands, no change here.

Can I provide further information to get into the problem?

Try to disable Settings - Player - Video - Adjust Refresh Rate

If that helps it might indicate a HDMI Cable issue or an issue with the AVR reporting correct EDID.

Before changing Adjust Refresh Rate you could also try connecting the Vero directly to the TV to see if problem is solved

Connecting directly to the TV worked fine, and I tried different cables.

But disabling Adjust Refresh Rate actually helps. Thank you, @fzinken!

But that shouldnā€™t be the solution. I suggest you upload logs when connected to TV and when connected to the AVR to see if it is an EDID reporting issue

1 Like

If Kodi is starting OK, thereā€™s no problem with the boot environment. Users should step away from the fw_setenv commands unless instructed.

Yes. With Vero connected through your AVR, please switch Adjust Refresh Rate back to On start/stop, turn on debug logging, reboot, play a problem video and post debug logs. Bonus for then connecting your Vero direct to the LG and grabbing logs again.

Connected to AVR: https://paste.osmc.tv/yogiyazulo
Directly connected to TV: https://paste.osmc.tv/esabutofel

I canā€™t see anything there that would cause a blank screen, but TBH the messages that Plex and your vpn add-on are putting out make reading the logs very difficult. Can you try playing a video without using Plex?

This should be fixed now. Weā€™ll build a new kernel and let you know how to test it.

The videos are played directly (Direct Paths). But I am reading from your last comment that you found the issue and I donā€™t have to provide further logs?

We found @ruudvdhā€™s issue. Yours is different.

Even with the direct connection you are getting a lot of
2021-11-30 19:18:09.738 T:2699 DEBUG <general>: CEGLNativeTypeAmlogic: Detected HDMI switch

which suggests something flakey with the HDMI connection. You should find Settings->System->Display->Lock HDMI HPD helps if you want to keep Adjust refresh rate at On Start/Stop.

I disabled plugins and created new debug logs
via AVR:
https://paste.osmc.tv/uvedopikiy

Lock HDMI HDP actually lets me play videos via AVR with Adjust frame rate on start/stop but leads to strange behaviour on my TV. The TV changes to a different HDMI input (where no device is connected) when the video is started and to a black screen after stopping the video from which I come back to Kodi by switching TV inputs again:
https://paste.osmc.tv/oqemilijar

Yes, by locking HPD you are also locking in the map your TV keeps of where everything is in the HDMI network. Try turning everything off (not just standby), count to ten then turn on TV, AVR and Vero in that order.

Apologies, missed this message in the other message in this thread. Anything I can do already?

Let me check ā€¦

No. The fix hasnā€™t been published yet.

If you are desperate, have you tried connecting Vero to your TV and using ARC?

1 Like

ARC is terrible with the Pioneer. It works for a while, stops working and no way to get it backā€¦ until it starts working for no reason. As I use the VERO quite a lot for music as well and donā€™t want the TV on anyway connecting it directly to the receiver is the best option.

I can downgrade it again to august so it works, but left it now on November so I could test it quickly.
Not in a major hurry. An rough ETA would be nice, so that I know how long I would be out. :smiley:

Hi

Iā€™d appreciate it if you could test this and provide feedback before we potentially release this as an update to other users. To test this update:

1. Login via the command line
  2. Run the following command to add the staging repository:
    echo 'deb http://apt.osmc.tv buster-devel main' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/osmc-devel.list
  3. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  4. Your system should have have received the update.

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I also recommend you remove /etc/apt/sources.list.d/osmc-devel.list after updating. This will return you to the normal update channel. To remove the file:
sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/osmc-devel.list. Please note that we will automatically disable this update channel after 14 days on your device in case you forget to do so to ensure that your system reverts to the stable update channel.

Cheers

Sam

Yes, this resolved my issue. VERO is back online and running stable. Rebooted couple of times and no issues so far. Thanks for the help!

2 Likes

Looks like @grahamh nailed it.

i love you guys! once a week i jump into one thread from the newsletter just for kicks and you nail it most of the time!!
i am so grateful for the effort you put in your work and in awe of your technical knowledge!

1 Like