Vero 4k pooped out

I was running a manual updated as I have many times, but this time it just had a black screen when it should have been finished. I waited a while, but eventually just unplugged it and plugged it back in.

Now when it starts up you see this, and then the sad face… Then it cycles for a while. There are no lights on the unit when it starts. Is it toasted? What can I do? I do have a backup from a while back on a flash drive.

If you’ve got a backup, you can just reinstall OSMC. You’ll be back up in a few minutes.

Alternatively if you’ve data you want to retrieve first we can also help there.

See Reinstalling OSMC - Vero 4K - OSMC

Assuming you refer to the red LED on the front of the device, that’s a bug in the latest bootloader. I’ll fix it shortly.

If you are getting a sad face, then it’s booting and Kodi is crashing. I’m assuming that you can ssh in, so if you post logs we will hopefully be able to spot what’s causing Kodi to crash.

He has an RPC issue (systemd failure) so I suspect the filesystem is corrupt. He’s probably best off logging in, copying the Kodi user directory and reinstalling.

Although the logs will probably let us see what’s up.

So I’d like to get the logs, but how exactly do I do that? I read that I can use “grab-logs -A”, so I tried that from a Putty command line, but I’m not sure what to make of these results:

osmc@osmc:~$ grab-logs -A
Logs successfully uploaded.
Logs available at https://paste.osmc.tv/

Try rebooting first.

If by “reboot” you mean to unplug and plug back in, then yes - I have done that multiple times. Still the “grab-logs -A” command does the same thing.

Usually if it fails – it’s because the logs are too large (we cap them at 10MB).

You could try rm .kodi/temp/kodi.old.log and rm .kodi/temp/kodi.log. We won’t need Kodi logs.

I think 30 days but I went ahead and removed your post so only support staff can view it.

Ok, Kodi isn’t starting because it can’t find libNFS.

You could try sudo apt-get install --reinstall libnfs12 but I suspect there is some filesystem corruption.

In addition to Kodi failing because libnfs is missing, TVH is failing because libhdhomerun is also missing.

Plus there’s a whole bunch of updates that have failed to complete, so the packages are marked as iU. (Interestingly, neither the libnfs nor hdhomerun packages are marked as iU.)

It’s a bit of a mess. If it were a production system, you’d fix the problems one by one, but I’m inclined to recommend a backup of what you can and a reinstall.

Well I tried the re-install, but the Installer is for Windows XP, I’m on Windows 10, so I tried using the latest Vero4k image file.

I copied the zip file (OSMC_TGT_vero3_20201023.img.gz) on my flash drive, and then I unzipped it it to “OSMC_TGT_vero3_20201023.img”.

Then:

1. I tried just plugginng in the flash drive (while the Vero was powered off).
  2. I powered on the Vero.
  3. I saw the same problem I initially reported

Then NEXT I followed the troubleshooting steps:

1. I unplugged the vero4k
  2. Renamed the .img file to ‘recovery.img’
  3. Inserted the Flash Drive
  4. Pressed a toothpick in the port nearest the HDMI port until I heard an audible “click”
  5. Held the toothpick down while I plugged back in the the power to the Vero 4k.
  6. Waited 30 seconds and released the toothpick.

Results:

• While I had the toothpick pressed down, the vero would show the “Please stand by” for a few seconds, then go black for a few seconds, then show the “Please stand by” screen again. It did this for about 3 times within the 30 seconds I had the toothpick pressed down.
  • When I released the toothpick, it went back to the screen in the screenshot I initially attached.

You can’t just copy the image like that. It has to be written to the drive.

The installer supports Windows XP or later; and therefore Windows 10.

Don’t use the toothpick method - it may prevent the device from booting the installer without further changes if you do so, and be sure to take a screenshot of the contents of the USB after imaging so we can verify you have done it correctly.

Ok I did the Windows recovery and it worked great. Just one problem- I did a restore from backup after that and it did not restore all my settings as I was expecting. I customized my hone menu items and I’m sure I backed it up after, but when the restore ran it said some items could not be restored, or something like that.

Does backup/restore not cover all items?

It will cover Kodi userdata changes – but not system changes.
If you can show us the logs, we can probably advise what and why things weren’t restored.

Glad to hear you are at least up and running again

Cheers

No that’s ok. I can easily reconfigure what is needed.

Thank you so much!

Cheers!

1 Like