Vero 4K+ - Problems accessing / writing external HDD

Hi guys, I ordered a Vero4K+ last week, received it and installed it on thursday and am quite happy with the device :grinning: I’m experiencing some difficulties and I was hoping someone could help me out, seeing I don’t have any programming skills whatsoever and only know how to use Windows. I’ve attached two external HDD to Vero4K+. They mount correctly and I can watch the content from it without any issues.

But here is the thing:

1. When I’ve watched a movie or episode, the file gets marked as “seen”. When I remove the title from the library and confirm that the file itself can also be deleted, the library entry gets removed. But when I reboot the system on a later point in time, the file is back again in the library. The option to rename and delete files on the drive has been activated. What am I doing wrong? If I try to use file manager I can’t delete/rename/remove anything, but I can’t access the log anywhere to show you what the causes the error

2.1) And my second problem is when I want to access my HDDs connected to the Vero4K+ through windows explorer. I enter the IP address (192.168.1.106) and use the default l/p “osmc”. The two HDDs and the folder “oscm” are being shown in the screen, but when I want to access one of these three folders, I get a popup for login and password. “osmc” doesn’t work and I can’t access the sections. Can anyone help me on this part? So I can easily transfer files from my Windows machine to the Vero4K+?

2.2) FileZilla doesn’t work btw. When I add the Vero4K+ in the sitemanager with the IP, port 80, osmc and osmc as l/p I get the following message:
Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message…
Error: Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity Error: Could not connect to server

If someone can help me I’d really appreciate it!

kind regards!
Erik

Might be a permission issue. Suggest to enable debugging, do the deletion and the upload logs via MyOSMC.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

thanks for the quick reply! I did what you asked (hopefully in a correct way :smiley: ). I did two actions: first try to remove an episode (american dad) from the library and the accompanied file with it. Second I went to filemanager, and try to delete the file manually. The logs are uploaded to: https://paste.osmc.tv/utowosoyij

15:41:39.690 T:3756217088 WARNING: Delete: Can't access file "/media/HDD1/Series/american dad/American.Dad.S15E06.You.Gotta.Strike.for.Your.Right.1080p.AMZN.WEB-DL.DD+5.1.H264-SiGMA.mkv"
15:41:39.691 T:3756217088   ERROR: Delete - Error deleting file /media/HDD1/Series/american dad/American.Dad.S15E06.You.Gotta.Strike.for.Your.Right.1080p.AMZN.WEB-DL.DD+5.1.H264-SiGMA.mkv

As expected, looks like a permission issue. You would need to connect to the Vero via SSH (see below) to check the permission

ls -lah /media/HDD1/Series/american\ dad/
mount | paste-log

Details regarding how to access the command line interface can be found here on our Wiki: Accessing the command line - General - OSMC

You should be connecting to port 22 with SFTP protocol. I’m not sure what would have led you to be attempting port 80.

Thanks for all your help so far fzinken! Here is the log that it generated.
http://paste.osmc.tv/bokarevuqo

edit: I btw shortened the command to ls -lah /media/HDD1/ because I just want to give permission to my entire HDD1 (and 2) :slight_smile:

Sorry ActionA, I have no real answer for this other then Filezilla had this as default and I thought I read somewhere that it should be this value. Apologies again for my knowledge on this subject, I’m glad for all the help you’re giving me. The portchange worked

:+1:

And what was the outcome of the command?

That can all be found here http://paste.osmc.tv/bokarevuqo

That is the output of mount | paste-log

But you need to show me what the ls comment returns to you

Sorry, I misread that one. Here’s the output of the ls command

osmc@osmc:~$ ls -lah /media/HDD1/
total 64K
drwxr-xr-x 12 root root 4.0K Nov 4 2016 - E-learning
drwxrwxrwx 11 root root 4.0K Apr 11 21:15 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4.0K Apr 14 19:26 …
drwxr-xr-x 18 root root 4.0K Mar 22 23:58 Anime
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4.0K Nov 4 2016 Backup laptop
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4.0K Oct 30 2017 Cabaret
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 12K Apr 9 21:31 Films
drwxr-xr-x 22 root root 4.0K Nov 4 2016 Lynda.com
drwxr-xr-x 9 root root 4.0K Sep 7 2017 Muziek
drwxr-xr-x 16 root root 4.0K Mar 23 09:54 Series
drwx------ 2 root root 16K Mar 22 2012 lost+found

osmc@osmc:~$ ls -lah /media/HDD2
total 60K
drwxrwxrwx 9 root root 4.0K Mar 15 19:50 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4.0K Apr 14 19:26 …
drwxr-xr-x 22 root root 4.0K Jul 8 2014 Backup PC pama
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4.0K Jun 28 2013 Backup gestuiterde Externe HDD
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4.0K Feb 13 2013 Backup laptop
drwxr-xr-x 32 root root 4.0K Jul 9 2014 Backup laptop 12-04-2014
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 12K Dec 10 2014 Disney voor de kleintjes
drwxr-xr-x 23 root root 20K Aug 9 2018 Films (archief)
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4.0K Mar 11 2012 Muziek

So the files are owned by root and other users only have read rights. This explains what you experience.

So you either can give write rights to everybody or change the owner to osmc.

To change the ownership for all files/folder recursively (be careful if you have different owners and want to keep them) you could run sudo chown -R osmc:osmc /media/HDD1

1 Like

That did the trick! thank you very very much for your help :smiley: