Vero 4k/Raspi 3 - new installation server/client

Hi,

i’m planning to reinstall the two devices due a few problems and redesign

This is my plan, any suggesstions would be greatly appreciated!

Equipment:

• Vero 4k (server) - always on
  • Raspi (client) - always on
  • NAS storage (24/7), HDDs goes in standby when not in use

Installation plan:

Vero 4k → server

• new OSMC installation
  • autofs configuration: nfs mount NAS with hostname instead ip-address (/etc/hosts entry)
    • I’m planning to replace the storage in the future so i prefer to use host aliases
    • I’m unsure about fstab or autofs (nfs performance with large 4k video files)
  • sql server installation (mariadb) and configuration
  • two profiles: “adults” (password protected) and “kids”
  • Amber skin
  • backup-addon to backup the config

Raspi 3 → client

• new OSMC installation
  • client access to the server (Vero 4k)

What do you think about this configuration?

best regards,

Sarge

Performance is the same but autofs seems a bit more straightforward on mounting/dismounting automatically

Should be fine just both PI3(Client) and Vero4k(Client) would need to point to the MySQL server.

Hi fzinken!

thanks for your answer. I’ll install MySQL server on the Vero 4k, so the Vero is server AND client at the same time right?

regards,

Sarge

Correct, just want to highlight that you also need to instruct the Vero to use the MySQL database.

I have installed the mysqlDB on my NAS as it has a better CPU and more resources than any of my mediacenter devices. But then again, my NAS is on 24/7.

1 Like

Hi Smurphy,

that would be an option, unfortunately my NAS ist very old (~10 years) so maybe when I replace the storage I switch the SQL instance to another host.

Do you think that the Vero 4k does not have enough performance to act as server and client?

Oh, The vero 4K definitely has the cpu power. But the memory is the issue.
As I have a large Music DB (I reduced the movie DB), that requires large caches for the DB to be performant.
My mysql instance on my NAS dedicated to Kodi is using 2.2GBytes of ram.

Hi,

just an update of my “project”:

installed yesterday OSMC from scratch to the Vero 4k, configured MySQL / Autofs and scraped the first movie library.

I have another share on my NAS with “kids” and for that i will use a second profile.
Do I have to pay attention to something regarding database, autofs or special setting? What happens when I clean up the movie library, will this be made separatly for the two profiles?

thanks!

regards,

Sarge

It depends on exactly how you setup your second profile. If you used a name tag for each profile that is different then the two profiles are using completely isolated databases and any library changes, update or clean, will have to be done on each individually. This is currently what you have to do if you want independent watch status.

If you don’t mind sharing a watch status and only want to restrict what is viewable on the Kids profile then you could instead keep the kids content in a separate location linked to with a separate share and then use locks to hide everything other than that from the kids profile which still having it attached (and thus maintained) to the master users profile. I wrote a guide on this you can find [here] if your interested. Alternatively you can tweak nodes to filter what is shown on the Kids profile without separating off your media but that is a bit more involved and is dependent on what skin your using. The OSMC skin allows for this sort of thing, Kodi’s default Estuary skin does not.

Hi!

I created a separate share for kids movies, so (with the search in the forum) I modified the advancedsettings.xml for the kids profile to create a separate database. Until now everything works as expected! I still play with different skins (Ace 2, Amber) to optimize the settings.

regards,

Sarge

Hi!

last question about the client (Raspi3). Copied “advancedsettings.xml” and “sources.xml” from the server (Vero) to the client (Raspi3).

Movies and Series did not show up on the client. Noticed that there was missing “content” on the library settings but the shorcuts was still missing. Then I rescraped all the content also on the client and finally the shortcuts are visbile

What I’m missing on the client configuration that only on the server (Vero) I have to srape the content and automatically will be updated on the client (Raspi) ?

thanks a lot for your help!

Sarge

Upload logs from Vero and Raspberry so that we have a chance to answer that question.

Hi,

I just uploaded the logfiles from the two devices

client (Raspi3): https://paste.osmc.tv/lisinomica
server (Vero 4K): https://paste.osmc.tv/iwejewidak

thanks in advance for your help!

regards,

Sarge

Hi,

There’s a typo in the advancedsettings.xml on the pi:

dvancedsettings>
  <videodatabase>
    <type>mysql</type>
    <host>192.168.1.201</host>
    <port>3306</port>
    <user>osmc</user>
    <pass>osmc</pass>
  </videodatabase>
  <musicdatabase>
    <type>mysql</type>
    <host>192.168.1.201</host>
    <port>3306</port>
    <user>osmc</user>
    <pass>osmc</pass>
  </musicdatabase>
  <videolibrary>
    <importwatchedstate>true</importwatchedstate>
    <importresumepoint>true</importresumepoint>
  </videolibrary>
</advancedsettings>

dvancedsettings> should be <advancedsettings>

Its resulting in this error in the log:

ERROR: Error loading special://profile/advancedsettings.xml, Line 0
                                            Error document empty.

Thanks Tom.

Hi Tom!

Thanks for the info! shame on me :grimacing: I’ll try it as soon as possible (busy with family at the moment :upside_down_face:)

1 Like

Hi,

Raspi is working now correctly, thanks aigain Tom for the “typo” info :slight_smile:

regards,

Sarge

1 Like