Vero 4K+ remote not that snappy + best remotes?

I’m using the original remote that came along with the 4K+ and it works fine but it often doesn’t respond that snappy. I know this happens when it’s cleaning up or scanning the library, but it also happens when this is not that busy. Like just browsing the menu or while playing a film.

The skin I use is Arctic Horizon 2 but it also occurs on the default osmc skin. Something that sometimes occurs is that I press a button, then nothing happens, and I think I didn’t press correctly and press again. But then it registers twice. So it pauses and plays again immediately, for instance.

Is this something that is just inherent to somewhat older hardware using newer software? Is there a setting I can change? Or might it be that the upcoming Vero V can handle this much better and that won’t have this lag/response failure (also during scannin the library)?

And a separate side question; I’m thinking of getting a new remote that lies a bit better in the hand then the default one. I previously used the Shield remote. Can that be used on the Vero? Or what are some other remotes people like here?

Thanks in advance!

This doesn’t sound like an issue with the remote but rather your system getting bogged down by things running. I suspect if you plug in a USB Keyboard it should act much the same. I don’t know if the Shield remote works but You could try pairing it in the bluetooth section of the My OSMC add-on and find out.

As @darwindesign says, it sounds performance related. Vero V will obviously be more performant.

I removed pretty much everything that I wasn’t using. It’s now just the arctic horizon 2 skin and a few basic addons for subtitles etc. By the way, I also have CEC configured for my LG magic remote, and the issue I’m describing happens way more on that remote compared to the standard Vero remote. Anything else I can try to try fix this?

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: OSMC Vero V Review

You could post some debug logs preferably where you first rebooted twice and then navigated around until you had a notable issue and then take note of the exact time this happened. You could watch the log on a PC to see what is going on by ssh’ing into your Vero and…

kodi-send -a toggledebug
tail -f ~/.kodi/temp/kodi.log

You could also temporarily load up default userdata and see if the issue is still present…

Let’s test with Kodi default settings. Enter the following commands with an SSH connection.

systemctl stop mediacenter
mv ~/.kodi ~/kodi.bak
systemctl start mediacenter

If needed you can restore:

systemctl stop mediacenter
mv ~/.kodi ~/kodi.bk2
mv ~/kodi.bak ~/.kodi
systemctl start mediacenter

If your original setup was restored as expected and you want get rid of the unneeded clean install you can delete that with the following command.

rm -r ~/kodi.bk2