Vero 4k, skip forward: no audio; skip back: start of video

Great!! The usual perfect OSMC service :slight_smile:
Thanks!!!

@sam_nazarko I was curious to test the latest changes youā€™ve put in staging. If you recall I previously had issues with livetv and recordings when using the di module

Most notably:

• frame skips
  • picture visibly shifting left<>right

Having upgraded to staging the picture is visibly shifting left<>right again on livetv and recordings. But no frame skips which is good.

However, unlike before, this time i cannot fix the problem by setting bypass_all, as that now makes the picture jump up and down as others have said in this thread.

Can anything be done to fix the picture shifting left<>right when the di module is used.

I have a 7 second .ts recording which clearly demonstrates the problem if u want me to upload somewhere.

Hi @jahutchi

I was expecting a post from you after making some changes yesterday.

Weā€™ve actually got the opposite problem here in that we find playback problems with SD Live TV when the deinterlacing is being bypassed. I remember that you seemed to be the only user affected this and found a workaround with rc.local; so flipped this back for now.

Can you make sure you are completely up to date?

Hi @sam_nazarko yes I performed a full update->dist-upgrade.

To be fair, most of the previous distractions I had with the di module and livetv/recordings are now gone. The only remaining issue of the picture occassionally shifting left<->right is very subtle to be honest, so you may not have picked up on it yet. Looks like it shifts by a single pixel, and its more noticable when theres an on-screen banner e.g. on the news.

As mentioned I have a 7 second clip i took earlier today which iā€™d be happy to upload, and clearly demonstrates the problem (on my display at least).

For the time being ive switched back to stable where everything is working nicely

Hi @sam_nazarko

I did a little googling and found folks over on coreelec reporting the same problem as me:

as mentioned there: ā€œThe shaking seems to happen only when video resolution is = display resolution and video is interlaced.ā€

I tried their suggested workaround of setting the zoom amount to 0.99 (set as default for all media) and low and behold the issue is gone.

Would be nice to fix it properly as i do now have a small black border, but can certainly live with it for the time being.

Further findā€¦adding a small amount of overscan compensation (e.g. 1,1 top-left and bottom-right) also fixes the problem.

Iā€™m contemplating disabling hardware acceleration for SD content; but this could cause problems with some other aspect ratio changes that we are making.

Iā€™ve PMā€™d you an upload link.

Sam

Iā€™ve uploaded a short clip that exhibits the problem. Just watch the clock at the bottom, for me it shifts left<->right a couple of times.

Personally, I dont have any problem with sd content. Note: I only have resolutions 1920x1080 and up in the whitelist, and have my gui resolution at 1920x1080@50hz, so am running at this resolution when playing sd tv channels. I have it configured this way as IMO this offers the smoothest experience for heavy tv users like myself, as it avoids resolution switches, and also means that overlay gui items (e.g. tv guide, channel info) display correctly when channel surfing.

With my whitelist configuration (above), disabling h/w acceleration causes sd channels to play like crap (canā€™t cope with the upscaling). If I add sd resolutions to the whitelist then sd channels indeed play fine without h/w acceleration.

If you disable h/w accelerarion for sd content, then (if possible) it might be best to do so only when no upscaling is involved (as dictated by the whitelist and resolutions advertised by the display.)

Since the last update, my recorded 1080i content is shaking like described above. overscan and zoom donā€™t fix the issue.

ā€œecho 1 > /sys/module/di/parameters/bypass_allā€ doesnā€™t change the behaviour.

EDIT: Iā€™m on version 18.3.0-21

Ow, after a lot of switching packages, rebooting and echoā€™ing to sys params :), i had noticed that I had a ā€œecho 1 > /sys/module/di/parameters/bypass_hdā€ in my /etc/rc.local. Itā€™s has been there for a long time (from kodi 17) and never caused issues. I think it was there to fix stuttering on Live TV.

Somehow, something changed that caused this parameter to start whobbling/shaking the screen.

Does it happen on any SD broadcasts?

I need a bit more information to narrow this down. Iā€™m already aware of the issue.

Sam

It also happened on a 720p stream. I guess it can be reproduced by setting bypass_hd to 1 at startup.

I have a sample already but one more will be great. Can you upload to: https://collab.osmc.tv/s/EJ82Gm1uK1sjOxX

(and let me know when done, as I donā€™t get a notification)

Sam

Iā€™ve made a new sample this morning which iā€™ve just uploaded.

Thanks. Iā€™ll take a look shortly.

Sam

As well as the picture shifting left<->right (fixed by adding a small amount of overscan) i am also seeing frame skips on some livetv channels again with the july release, so have had to revert back to june. Seems related to using the di module again. Basically if i display the playerdebug osd then i see the number of skips increasing. Though the vq stays around 20% and aq stays around 5%.

I couldnt workaround it this time by setting bypass_all. Some change made between kernel 150->152 means that the picture goes all wobbly when bypass_all is set.

Does that happen on any channel?

Sam

As before it just seems to affect live hd channels

This was previously fixed by toggling bypass_all for anything other than vc-1. I see that change was reverted as part of the july release:

Yes - I set it back to how it was before

Okā€¦guess i need to stick with the june release for now.