Vero 4K SMB2 windows shares

just received my Vero 4k and i’am having trouble seeing or adding windows server 2012 r2 shares of which SMB1 has been disabled due to security reasons (ransom ware). I have seen a post regarding enabling SMB2 and it talks about kernel SMB2 enable i have no idea how to do this i’am new to Linux and will this work for adding windows shares in OSMC. Is there a guide i could follow to get this working

Hi,

If you read this post:

You will need access to the command-line: Accessing the command line - General - OSMC.

Its already been enabled in the kernel, you just need to update /home/osmc/.smb/smb.conf; as discussed in the thread. Then reboot.

Thanks Tom.

P.S

Edit: Thought of this after I finished posting:

You initially probably only want to add to add:

client max protocol = SMB3

to smb.conf, so you can browse and add your shares. Adding the other options mentioned in thread, breaks browsing but is more secure.

1 Like

Perfect worked like a charm i don’t require browsing as all my files are via a single share thanks again

Thanks for confirming. This will be resolved shortly in a near future update, but we need to always be careful when making SMB changes.

I hope you enjoy your new device.

Sam, I just found out about Vero 4K and I’d like to make sure users get a seamless and good experience using Samba SMB2 both libsmbclient and kernel with SMB2.

Can you contact me directly at Jeremy Allison jra@samba.org referencing this thread ? I’m planning on replacing my old SageTV HD300 boxes at home soon and Vero 4k looks an ideal choice. I want to make sure all Samba-related SMB1/2/3 issues are addressed so everything just “works” for users.

I can log bugs for you in our bugzilla if I know about them, and I’d love to work directly with you to fix any issues you might have.

Cheers,

Jeremy Allison,
Samba Team.

2 Likes

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for your message. I’ll send you an email shortly.

Best

Sam

Hi Jeremy,

I’ve sent you an email now.

Sam