Vero 4k + → Truly 2 GB? (free -m says otherwise)

free command shows a different value.
free -h → 1.7 GB
free -m → 1756 MB

cat /proc/meminfo → 1798468 kB

So, where did the 0.3 GB go? I thought I’d get the 2 GB as mentioned in Vero - OSMC

Yes - there really is 2GB RAM. RAM cannot be purchased in multiples of 1756MB.

Your computer with 8GB RAM will likely also show slightly less, particularly if there is an integrated graphics card.

Some memory is reserved for the contiguous memory allocator which is used for peripherals such as the video decoder

If you feel you have been deceived you can open a support request and return the device for a full refund.

Cheers

Sam

1 Like

I’m happy with the product. Maybe the specs page should clarify this. Just in case someone wanted to verify. I’m reassured by your explanation. Thank you.

Is there even one SBC, Apple or Android tablet, or other similar device that clarifies that some of the RAM is used for the Video?

There is no device out there that will give you 2048/2048MB usable memory.

Some memory is used by the operating system and core functions.

This isn’t unique to the Vero, a Pi, or even your PC.

1 Like

PC adverts do not cover this either.

I can understand with storage where Android can take several GBs or even the ‘actual formatted capacity may be less argument’, but have never seen this with RAM.

OK. I understand. I did not realise this before.

1 Like

kinda reminds me of this old site

https://www.linuxatemyram.com/

Just for the fun only. I installed dmidecode and ran e.g. dmidecode -t 16, but got the message “bus error.” That’s all, I’m not gonna insist. So, I ended up removing that package.

But you seem to not be able to get over the fact that you seem to think that something sketchy is going on. If you wanted to void your warranty you could open your device and see for yourself that the RAM is there. I’m sure the chip has the numbers printed right on top of it and that would allow you to find the specs and data sheet online. Personally I find the whole notion of this to be farcical. RAM does not come in odd sizes, and it never has. The fact that you can see 1.8gb of the RAM means that there is 2gb installed.

1 Like

Please, calm down, don’t be upset. Since your first answer (marked as solved), I no longer think there’s something sketchy. You can’t prevent someone from questioning your product, esp. the specs, at first. It’s natural for me to check a little bit; it’s a habit. I have nothing against the designers. I’m only a regular user with “good” skills using GNU/Linux daily. I’m not into hardware design and the wiring of pieces of hardware together. So, please, don’t be offended when someone wants to know just a little more about hardware and more, want to verify by themselves.

The fact I used this command only results from the fact I recently tried it on another distro, for the sake of curiosity. I wanted to try, again for the sake of curiosity, whether this command would work on Vero. That’s all, my dear. I could not refrain myself from trying. If I haven’t used this command on another distro, this thread would have appeared more peaceful. Don’t over-react over something insignificant, don’t be in people’s head and calm down. I’m your “friend.” I’m happy with the Vero 4K +. Is that not enough? I told you I was happy earlier.

My trust in you is as good as I don’t know you nor your business. It’s not because of you; My attitude, like it or not, is for any company.

An no ! I do not want to return the Vero 4K +.

This is my last answer. Arguing endlessly without being face to face is a sad thing. As I live in the UK, I’m happy to visit you and talk face to face so you can “judge” my feelings by looking at my face and then you’ll see I’m not as bad as you’d think (over-reacting to an insignificant post only mentioning a command name).

Thanks for your support.

And good luck with Vero 8K!

The thread has run its course.

There is 2GB of physical RAM present, but the OS sees slightly less as some is reserved.
This screenshot shows my Dell laptop.

It has 32GB RAM, but Linux only sees 31.2GB because some is reserved for the graphics card. Dell still quite rightfully advertise it as 32GB of RAM.

dmi-decode will only work on x86 (PC) architecture, so won’t return anything on the Vero 4K / 4K +.

It probably goes without saying but we reserve only the memory we need and it’s in our interest to optimise that usage to be as efficient as possible.

No offense taken at your curiosity.

Cheers

Sam

2 Likes