Vero 4K+ v19 - Many Problems

My Vero 4k+ has worked for years with no major issues and started experiencing many issues after updating to Kodi v19.

Issues:

• Scanning no longer works. The scanning message appears in the top right corner but hangs for days without going away and doesn’t seem to do anything. Rebooting doesn’t help
  • UI is very choppy
  • Random system freezes requiring reboot
  • restarting a video in progress often starts playing with no sound. I have to stop and start the video 2 to 4x to get the sound to resume.

I’m using the default Confluence and no special addons that aren’t standard in the install.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Here is the log.

*** REMOVED ***

The issue that was replicated for this run is the hanging scanning that initiates after reboot. The scanning just stays there for hours…days… with no change.

This issue did not exist before v19 and the paths of my source data have not changed in years. All videos are on local NAS with fixed addresses.

I should note that after this issue, I deleted the whole library, re-added the data sources, and forced a rescan, which worked… So the data sources (local NAS) are correct. The Vero 4k successfully plays all media on the paths that are not scanning properly – so the Vero 4k sees the files despite the failing scans.

Subsequent UPDATE LIBRARY scans that occur automatically after reboot or manually from the left sidebar menu (in Confluence) do not work. I realize the log says that the paths are bad, but that is not correct. This issue started after updating to v19 and I re-added the sources and rebuilt the library after installing v19, so the paths are valid.

Thanks,
Michael

That has not been a default skin for Kodi in many years and not something that ships with OSMC. I would try switching to Estuary or the OSMC skin to see if that clears up part of your problem. Also check your display settings to make sure you are set to 1080p resolution and not 1080i. The logs you provide were Kodi logs only so they are only providing partial information. Full/all logs would be more helpful. As for the library scanning issue I think you may have an issue with name resolution on your network. I would try setting your sources to an IP address instead of a name or else add a path substitution to accomplish the same thing on your current library.

I am aware that Confluence is not the default skin for Kodi. I am using the default (i.e. vanilla) version of Confluence with no modification, so there’s nothing “special” about it that should be causing issues.

One of the first things I checked was the OSMC skin as a control and the performance issues were identical, including the hanging library updates and choppy UI. Again, my network and Vero 4k configuration/settings have been unchanged for ~3 years and I’ve had no issues until the moment the v19 update completed installing. I am speculating that the library scanning issue is wholly or in part responsible for the UI choppiness as the system may be hanging as it’s trying to poll all of my data sources. I checked the resolution and it’s fixed at 1920x1080p.

All network devices have reserved IP addresses, including my multiple 4-bay NASs. Data sources are added in the Kodi via Video > Files > Add Files > smb://…

How do I provide this as opposed to what was originally pasted here?

I am experiencing the same issues. Movie stops suddenly. If it is an episode, after the stopping in the middle of it the new episode starts. Lots of buffering, too. And then freeze, and I have to unplug Vero 4K+ and reboot.

Your sources in Kodi are smb://[name] and I’m talking about changing that to smb://[IP address] to avoid name resolution issues.

When you upload logs via My OSMC you choose which logs get uploaded. You only selected the Kodi log.

With all due respect you don’t know if your experiencing the same issue as we don’t yet know what the OP’s issue is. You have not provided logs or details enough for anyone to even venture a guess of what may be going on with your setup. Your description also sounds very different from the OP to me. I would suggest to start a new thread with logs and relevant detail and description to maximize the possibility that someone may be able to asset you.

Here is a full log

** REMOVED LINK **

In this session I used Estuary and the scanning issue still persists. I was also unable to add a new data source in videos / files / _new. This message comes up:

“Error 2 Share Not Available”
and
“Couldn’t Connect to Server”

Updating to v19 was the biggest mistake I could have made. Please help.

You still have the lookup issue.

2021-08-11 22:49:10.850 T:2687    ERROR <general>: Unable to lookup host: 'DNS-343-SOURCE'
2021-08-11 22:49:10.894 T:2686    ERROR <general>: Unable to lookup host: 'DNS-345-SOURCE1'

Suggest to switch to IP based sources otherwise need to install nmblookup

sudo apt-get install samba-common-bin

I see your UI is set to 4K and not 1080p as I suggested. This will cause numerous issues including a choppy interface. Please reference the following…

Recommended display settings

We recommend people with 4K TV’s set their user interface (UI) to 1080p. Kodi’s UI is not optimized for 4K yet and this can put unnecessary demands on your device and can lead to a suboptimal picture quality, as well as potentially cause other issues.

The settings we recommend are as follows…

Settings>System>Display>Resolution> 1920x1080p
Settings>System>Display>Whitelist> (empty) *
Settings>Player>Videos>Adjust display refresh rate> On start/stop

Some televisions may also need, or benefit from, the following being set…

System>Display>Force 4:2:2 colour subsampling> (enable)

With the above settings your UI will be output in Full HD and your 4K content will be output in 4K. *Information regarding the whitelist can be found here. If you have any doubt, feel free to upload some logs so we can verify that your settings are indeed correct.

In settings>media>videos>use video tags you should disable that option as it is much more likely to make some items fail to scan than provide any useful function.

In add-on go to information providers and check to see if TVDB is installed, enabled, and current (should be 3.2.8). I would suggest to consider switching over the TMDb TV Shows instead. To do that you would go to video>files and on each TV show source context menu and select “change content”.

As for the DNS issue I would repeat my earlier advice to try to bypass that.

I switched source paths to IP and UPDATE LIBRARY now reconciles (although it still takes longer than it used to). After this switch, I haven’t had an opportunity to use Vero long enough to verify whether this fixes the UI/playback issues, but I suspect it will… I’ll report back after I have a chance to test further.

What I don’t understand is why after 3 years, the unit all of a sudden cannot reconcile the data sources via path name immediately after installing v19. Something changed in the Vero 4k+ that caused this to happen. My LAN configuration has remained unchanged for years.

The Vero is always set to 1080p… I’ve been toggling the resolution between 1080p and 4K to test the performance delta between the two settings. The resolution happened to still be at 4K when I generated the log file. I will definitely also apply your recommended video settings to see if that further improves things.

EDIT: I just noticed that when I set the resolution to 1920x1080p, the OS does not fit the screen. Text near the edge (e.g. clock) falls off the side. I don’t recall ever seeing this on 1080p. Recommendations to fix this?

Other than polling for cast images, all metadata is stored locally in directory-specific .nfos.

Thanks for your help… Again, I’ll report back once I have a chance to properly test everything with this new configuration.

Well nmblookup was never really favoured but it could surely be a change in the recent update that disabled it.

Yes, configure you TV correctly, normally function is called just scan, 1:1,… if you let us know your TV Brand and Make we can let you know.

I think this specific issue self-corrected. All I had to do was change the TV source and switch back and the TV adjusted for the resolution change. Thx again.

It looks like everything is working as it should. Thanks for your help.

If at all possible I would like to go back to browsing for an SMB path rather than manually entering an IP address + path. My LAN has multiple NAS, each with multiple HDDs, which adds up a fair number of unique data sources that need to be entered into Kodi. Browsing for a path is so much easier, especially when incidents like this come up.

Just add each NAS as a network path and then you can add all the sources after that without typing anything in. See this thread that I’d just gone over this in plenty of detail…

So my Vero 4K+ works perfectly fine except for one issue. Since upgrading to v19.1 and changing the network locations to IP addresses, the unit has a delay of ~22 to 25 seconds from the time I press play on a video before it actually starts playing. This recurs 100% of the time a video is started or resumed.

I should note that the NAS HDDs the Vero 4K+ are reading from are awake and spinning (i.e. the delay is not caused by the HDD spinning-up). Before upgrading to v19.1 and before remapping with IP address, the delay was approximately 4 seconds.

Debug enabled logs might tell where the delay come from

Here is the log file. For the log file I tried starting 3 different videos on different data sources and each one had a delay of well over 20 seconds.

** Link removed **

Before upgrading to v19 and changing data sources to IP videos played instantly and had a delay of ~4 seconds if the source HDD was sleeping and had to spin up.