Vero 4K+ v19 - Many Problems

I haven’t performed the test you requested yet, but I did get a new mesh router (Asus Zen WiFi AX6600 Tri Band) and the issue persists, which I believe narrows this to the Vero 4K+. The issue cannot reside with my NAS because I have 4 physical NAS, one of which is a different model from the rest and the symptoms are the same across all four units.

That said, I have to perform the suggested test.

The clean Kodi folder worked. All videos played instantly upon pressing play.

However… the new Kodi instance behaved wonky. At times there were UI items missing from the administrative menus in System and Interface. The remote scrolled down the screen, but the words were not there. Rebooting fixed this, but it recurred. Also, after adding the first video source, the option to add additional sources disappeared.

My first thought was that this was a memory issue. the second copy of Kodi brought my storage to > 80% full.

How do I go about wiping my old instance completely and starting from scratch again?

rm -r ~/kodi.bak

Using this command will delete the original install that was moved so I’ll be left only with the clean install and nothing else?

Yes, I understood that is what you wanted?
Otherwise most space is taken by thumbnails so you could also just run rm -r ~/.kodi.bak/userdata/Thumbnails/.

Anyway 80% used space should hardly create your issue.

osmc@OSMC:~$ rm -r ~/.kodi.bak/userdata/Thumbnails/
rm: cannot remove '/home/osmc/.kodi.bak/userdata/Thumbnails/': No such file or directory

I was able to delete the moved original. I’ll try setting this up again and hopefully things will go smoothly. If anything goes sideways I’ll turn on logging and document.

Thanks again.

My Vero 4K+ finally seems to be performing as it was before v19.1. Scanning is super fast and videos play within a second or two after pressing play. Thanks for your help.

One final concern… My storage says that I only have 1.9GB free. I am not entirely sure what my storage usage was before performing these tests. How can I determine what is taking up so much space? Is there something I can reference and post here?

Install ncdu it will tell you what is using the space.
sudo apt-get install ncdu
then
ncdu -x /

These are my main three storage users (I don’t have the database on the Vero so home is smaller than usual).

1.8 GiB [##########] /home                                                  
.   1.1 GiB [#####     ] /usr
. 404.7 MiB [##        ] /var
ncdu 1.13 ~ Use the arrow keys to navigate, press ? for help
--- / ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
   10.8 GiB [##########] /home
. 811.3 MiB [          ] /usr
. 229.9 MiB [          ] /var
  115.1 MiB [          ] /lib
   17.3 MiB [          ] /boot
.  13.9 MiB [          ] /etc
    7.2 MiB [          ] /bin
    6.5 MiB [          ] /sbin
    3.8 MiB [          ] /opt
.  32.0 KiB [          ] /tmp
!  16.0 KiB [          ] /lost+found
    8.0 KiB [          ] /media
e   4.0 KiB [          ] /srv
e   4.0 KiB [          ] /selinux
!   4.0 KiB [          ] /root
e   4.0 KiB [          ] /mnt
e   4.0 KiB [          ] /lib64
    4.0 KiB [          ]  .osmcguid
    0.0   B [          ]  walkthrough_completed
>   0.0   B [          ] /sys
>   0.0   B [          ] /run

Click on Home, you can drill down.
And actually even can directly delete from within ncdu

--- /home/osmc -------------------------------------------------------------------
                         /..
    8.4 GiB [##########] /kodi.bak
    2.4 GiB [##        ] /.kodi
  672.0 KiB [          ] /.dvdcss
   80.0 KiB [          ] /.cache
    8.0 KiB [          ] /.gnupg
e   4.0 KiB [          ] /TV Shows
e   4.0 KiB [          ] /Pictures
e   4.0 KiB [          ] /Music
e   4.0 KiB [          ] /Movies
    4.0 KiB [          ]  .bashrc
    4.0 KiB [          ]  .profile
    4.0 KiB [          ]  .bash_history
    4.0 KiB [          ]  .bash_logout
--- /home/osmc/kodi.bak/userdata -------------------------------------------------
                         /..
    4.8 GiB [##########] /Thumbnails
  167.0 MiB [          ] /Database
   10.5 MiB [          ] /addon_data
  156.0 KiB [          ] /library
   32.0 KiB [          ]  guisettings.xml
   24.0 KiB [          ] /playlists
   24.0 KiB [          ] /peripheral_data
   20.0 KiB [          ]  favourites.xml
   16.0 KiB [          ] /Savestates
e   4.0 KiB [          ] /keymaps
    4.0 KiB [          ]  sources.xml
    4.0 KiB [          ]  profiles.xml
    4.0 KiB [          ]  mediasources.xml
    4.0 KiB [          ]  RssFeeds.xml
    4.0 KiB [          ]  fstab

So seem you didn’t removed your original configuration. I am not sure if you now wanted to delete it or not?

Yes, I want to remove the original configuration. Can you provide the command please?

Also, why is the original configuration so much larger than the current configuration? They both have an identical scan of the library.

Just highlight it in ncdu and press d

1. After upgrades the old Database will not be deleted
  2. Thumbnails of removed objects are not removed. They pile up over time.

“Clean Database” doesn’t purge old artwork? I also noticed that the bak DB was 2x the size of my current DB.

Is there an addon that can perform automatic garbage collection for assets that are no longer in the DB? Purging orphaned artwork for example.

--- /home ------------------------------------------------------------------------
                         /..
    2.4 GiB [##########] /osmc

Thanks!

You could use a Cron job to prune the thumbs with texturecache.py.

https://kodi.wiki/view/Texture_Cache_Maintenance_utility

Thanks. I had heard of this some time ago, but was hoping there was a more user-friendly/elegant solution that could be installed and managed from within the Kodi UI (like an add-on).