Vero 4K+ very dim image

Thanks for your response. I have also tested both devices without any tweaks, so default. What I try, the image always looks better on the Mede8er. I’ve now tweaked settings in the tv for the Vero input (it’s a bit better) but it still doesn’t look how it should.

I’ll try calibrating with the patterns

That doesn’t seem like a good idea. First off, “PC Mode” on a TV doesn’t necessarily mean it is expecting a full range signal. Second, it generally disables some useful processing in the TV. Third, video is always stored as limited range YUV, so you will get a more accurate picture if the entire pipeline is limited-range YUV from start to finish. Converting to RGB should, in theory, be lossless but it sometimes isn’t in practice; and converting from limited range to full range can screw things up badly.

Are your Vero and Mede8er connected to the same input on the TV? If not, you need to be very careful about making sure both devices have the same TV settings. As ragg987 pointed out, you should also reset all image settings on both players to default values before making any comparisons, and make sure both are outputting limited range YUV.

1 Like

Will you let us know the end of the story? Please.

Indeed, it would be good to know how you got on.

I’ve already resetted the colour profiles on the tv, reseted the whole Vero and resetted the colour settings on the Mede8er. Nothing seems to help. I’ve already tried using the same HDMI input on the tv, so that’s not a problem either. I’ve now tweaked a lot of profile settings in the tv for the Vero and it’s better but, again really far from looking as a (resetted) Mede8er. The Vero always gives out a very dark image, ok I could change this per file or in the tv, which I’ve done but then I still don’t have the good colours of the Mede8er. It’s like there’s a gray layer above the Vero signal.

Just my opinion…I use a Vero4K+ and a Popcorn Hour Vten for sources…My Vten just looks better on video than the Vero…don’t know why, I would guess its a Kodi thing. So I mainly use the Vero as an audio machine since Kodi is the best at music presentation.

I’m not sure that’s really a data point without knowing what kind of content you’re playing i.e. HDR, SDR, 4K etc

You are right, Sam…I forgot to mention that the comparison is for 1080p content…So far I haven’t been overly impressed by most 4K content and HDR in general (except gaming) …My new Hisense H9F plays 4K HDR movies through the Android media player perfectly enough for me. I do believe that those who have asked for other OS’s on the Vero are not happy with Kodi’s approach to video playback, it almost seems like an afterthought. The Vero is certainly capable of perfect playback from a hardware standpoint.

Kodi doesn’t handle the video playback and output quality. The hardware accelerator does.

Perhaps if ‘looks better’ was explained, there are settings changes you could make. Our goal is simply to pass an image as close to the source as possible without noise reduction or significant post processing

1 Like

Which it does. Very well.