Vero 4K video cuts out once in a while

I have owned my Vero 4K for a couple of months now. In the beginning I had some issues, that were quickly resolved in subsequent firmware updates.

There is one issue that remains, however. Once in a while (perhaps once per hour or couple of hours) the video will cut out. When this happens the TV picture first turns green and than blacks out. After a couple of seconds the video returns, continuing the timeline (i.e. it appears playing the video continued in the background during the black-out).

The setup is a Marantz AV receiver and Samsung TV. I have tried different cables and inputs, but to no avail.

Has anyone experienced the same issue, or perhaps has any idea what is going on?

Thanks,
Rudy.

Edit: the black-outs are not related to the video content. They happen randomly, and the blacked out section will play fine the next time around.

I would suggest trying a direct connection to the TV to see if the issue still occurs.

If not, then I’d change the hdmi cable between the AV and the TV.

Sam

Thanks for your response, Sam.

I have already tried different HDMI cables, but that didn’t help. I have not experimented with the direct connection to the TV yet, so I’ll do that and report back. Also, I am not sure if the audio cuts out along with the video or not. I’ll check for it the next time it happens.

Rudy.

That would be useful to know. I’m guessing it does cut out. If the direct connection doesn’t work, could you turn on debug logging and upload logs just after you get a blackout?

Alright, reporting back on the experiments. It took a little while because the problem is so random.

I tried different inputs on the AV receiver, as well as the direct connection to the TV. In each case I experimented with different cables. Unfortunately, the problem persists. Furthermore, I was able to confirm that the audio continues to play when the video interrupts.

Not sure what to do at this point. Anybody has any other suggestions to investigate or resolve?

Thanks,
Rudy.

Can you post a debug log when you get a dropout?
A user had a similar issue and it turned out to be a problem with their display IIRC. I’ll try and find the post.

Cheers

Sam

I’ll try to get a debug log, please bear with me.
I’d be very interested in the post describing a similar problem.
Rudy

I’m trying to find the post.

Sam

I have a log, but I don’t want to share it publicly. I sent a PM to Sam. If anyone else wants to have a copy, please let me know.
Rudy

Maybe it’s a heat problem? Have you checked the temperature in the system info or on the device when this happens? You could check if it has something to do with the system load by playing only files that are easy / hard on the system resources for a while.
Does your Receiver show a green screen when the source sends no signal? My Onkyo shows a blue screen with the source info.

@martini2:
Thanks for looking into this. The issue does not seem to be related to temperature, as the temperature remains low (the box is in a well-ventilated place). Also, the drop-out issue is not related to the complexity of the content. The ‘no-signal’ picture of my Marantz AVR is a black screen with the name Marantz in grey letters, so I don’t think this causes the green picture.

@sam_nazarko:
Did you have a chance to look into the log file?
Rudy

Not just yet – I’ll check this shortly.

Sam

This should be fixed in today’s update

Cheers

Sam

Just in time for new year! Yay!

Ok. I now also experience this same symptom only after the 2018.12-1 update. Random black screens with audio still coming in. Black screen lasts about a second or two and then video returns.
One thing I notice is that it only happens on 4k UHD. Not on 1080p files.
Connected directly to TV.

Have you tried a different HDMI cable?

Will try that out and report back.

Changing cable did the trick. Thanks!