Vero 4K vs Pc / chromebox data reading

So I probably have a silly question, but I want to make sure.
I use the Vero 4K with with the titan mod skin. Kodi 18.9 still.

This skin has the option to show rotten tomatoes scores on the main movie page in the library. This through skin helper service. Which reads a cache file where the information is stored.

So for the question … on the vero when browsing through movies it takes between 5 or 10 seconds before the ratings are shown for the selected movie.
Same when clicking info where the actors images are shown.
On my pc where I test everything before installing on them Vero it is instantaneously.
So is this due to the fact that the pc has a much faster cpu to process this?

Or could it be the fact that on the test Pc I have around 30 movies loaded for testing and on the Vero over 150 with also a lot of tv shows … so the myvideos database is of course a whole lot bigger.

Tnx

EDIT : I’ve now tested it out as well on an old Chromebox with libreelec on it (latest version), there it is also almost instantaneous.
Even when adding videos, it takes the vero a while before the standard icons (bluray, speakers, …) come up … even takes a while before it shows the length of the movie/episode.

Bumping this since I still struggle with this and find it quite annoying.
Before taking the plunge to update to v19 and then tweak everything in the skin again to my liking would like to know if it’s a Vero limitation or not

Tnx

This doesn’t sound right. Have you tried exporting the entire library from the working system to the Vero?

This only happens on first access, correct? Is your connection to your files slower on the Vero than on the other devices? When you touch the file the first time in the library it has to actually read the file to pull in the file datatypes and it also grabs the artwork at this point and caches it. This caching can also slow when the art pops up as well as it also has to downsize live the art as it only pulls from the thumbnail on subsequent accesses. If you have multiple devices that your using with the same media you can setup a MySQL setup so everything other than artwork caching only has to be done on one machine. You could also use something like Tiny Media Manager to make local metadata files that would mitigate most of this.

Hey. I already use mediaelch to make nfo’s for my movies with all info (ratings and such) in there. The artwork I use is also stored. For tv I use nfo on show level.
So no idea why the loading is slow.
If I scroll through my movies it takes up to 30sec or longer before the rotten ratings update.
If I press info on a movie… It takes also that time or longer for the correct cast with pics is updated/shown. All thumbs are stored on the Vero.

For the time and other details it feels like it doesn’t get loaded until I go into the tv show.
Let’s say I add a new show. Nfo for the show is loaded and tmdb downloads the épisodes data.
Let’s say that a week later I go into tv and into that show… The time data or other info is still not loaded /shown yet. After a min or so it’s updated.

Maybe something wrong with the entire DB and I should start from scratch?

Haven’t yet. That was a temp system in the bedroom while I couldn’t watch tv downstairs due to construction. So library there way outdated now I would think after 7 months of no use :slight_smile: That chromebox even was on wifi while the Vero is on ethernet.

Did another test here. So I go into moviem and I was at one that started with an S. If I go to their next movie, it takes about 4sec to show the rotten ratings and when I go into info about 4sec as well to show the correct cast with thumbnail. Perfect …
But I then quickly browsed through the library and stopped at letter D. Then it took about 1full min to show the rotten ratings and also about 1min to show the right cast.

Have you looked at one of the nfo files to see if mediaelch actually included this data? If it was there then it should have been stored in the database when it was scraped and there should be no delay at all to display it. There might also be some kind of bug there like with TMM where if you scrape a file and it writes a nfo before it has a chance to check data types when it does get codec/rez/audio format/etc it doesn’t update the already written nfo file. In the case of TMM you have to either delay when you scape or else tell it to re-write the nfo files to get them updated with all the new data.

This is expected behavior. Unless you scraped with a nfo that contains this data then the online scraper only downloads the text data (name, cast, plot, etc.) and links to artwork. The artwork is only retrieved on first access. If your using a skin with a recent episode widget this often will make it happen when your not noticing. The A/V spec data retrieval (if not provided via nfo) only happens when you actually highlight over an item. This has AFAIK has never happened as a background task in Kodi on any platform.

Kodi can be a bit weird on how it loads thumbs. First it loads in a particular order which is not necessary what is shown on the screen depending on how you are sorted. As it loads through this list it cues up thumbs that need to be generated. When you land on a library item that does not have stored art then you have to wait in the cue for it to be generated. Even if there is a stored thumbnail it may load slower due to it’s retrieval being lower in line. For example if I go to my music>albums with the display set to thumbs there is always a delay when it shows the artwork for “2 Live Crew” because although it is listed first (numbers before letters) the loading of the art seems to happen last (letters before numbers). This delay happens regardless of platform. In my case it takes four seconds for the 2 Live Crew album art to show up on my PC and six seconds on my Vero. This is a direct comparison as both have fully cached thumbs and are pulling from the same shared database and using the same skin.

If you wanted to try…

Let’s test with Kodi default settings. Enter the following commands with an SSH connection.

systemctl stop mediacenter
mv ~/.kodi ~/kodi.bak
systemctl start mediacenter

If needed you can restore:

systemctl stop mediacenter
mv ~/.kodi ~/kodi.bk2
mv ~/kodi.bak ~/.kodi
systemctl start mediacenter

If your original setup was restored as expected and you want get rid of the unneeded clean install you can delete that with the following command.

rm -r ~/kodi.bk2

1 Like

Thank you already for the time you took with the big reply. Let me comment on a few things you mention/ask :

• yes, I’ve checked the nfo files and the info is in there.
  • Good to hear the behavior is expected, it indeed makes sense. And I have no trouble with a delay, but look at your example … you speak of 2 secs on your PC, and 6 secs on the Vero. That’s a big difference with here going to a few secs to suddenly a full minute. And the fact that it’s super fast on my PC, totally normal with an i7 CPu and fast ssd. But the Chromebox is only a Celeron and I think the internal flash ain’t faster than the Vero’s.

Like I said, I have to update to v19 anyways finally. So I’ll do it half your way … I’ll make a kodi.bak so I have a clean kodi … then I’ll update to v19 and start fresh more there. Maybe something got screwed up.

I’d venture a guess that for processing images and IO that Celeron is much faster than the ARM chip your going to find in almost any SBC.

You could turn on debug logging and look at the log to see exactly what it is up to. You could do this live from a PC via ssh and then…

kodi-send -a toggledebug
tail -f ~/.kodi/temp/kodi.log

When your done you can ctrl+c to exit tail and then run the same kodi-send command to turn debug logging back off.