Vero BSOD Blue Screen Of Death

Hello all;
Just to know do we have some kind of equivalent of the infamous Micro$osft’s Blue Screen Of Death ?

My vero was powerded off (I was on holidays) When I come back I plug it and all I got is this BSOD.

Still able to connect through ssh , so I’ve checked in var/log nothing…
Then I remeber debian is now on systemd so I went to journalctl
but nothing obvious to me;

Then I did an apt-get update;

then I issued a reboot

but still stuck in my bsod.

At this point I must confess i’m lost. What should I do ?
may be ; I’ve missed an entry on the faq or forum ?? If so please kindly point me towards.

Thanks for your time and your help

If you can log in with SSH we can probably figure out what is wrong and fix it without a reinstall.

I assume that the blue screen appears for 10 seconds then goes away briefly and returns again ? The blue screen is displayed when the Kodi executable crashes, at which point it tries to re-launch it after 10 seconds. Do you see any sign of Kodi before the blue screen, or does it go straight from the OSMC splash screen to the sad face ?

We’d really need to see the system journal, the kodi log, and the apt log. So you can try the following. First we want to stop kodi trying to automatically relaunch all the time so that we can get a complete kodi log, so enter the following command and hit enter only when the sad face is on the screen:

sudo systemctl stop mediacenter

The screen will go blank at this point.

Then capture the logs:

sudo journalctl | paste-log
paste-log /var/log/apt/term.log
paste-log /home/osmc/.kodi/temp/kodi.log

And paste the links here.

Most likely either Kodi has got corrupted somehow (did you have any failed upgrades, unexpected power cut etc ?) or there is something in your .kodi folder causing Kodi to crash, such as a corrupt addon. (The kodi.log should give us an idea if that is the case)

If you want to try a forced reinstall of Kodi over the top you can do so with:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install vero-mediacenter-osmc --reinstall

Then afterwards reboot.

One more thing to check, make sure you haven’t run out of free disk space! :smile:

Run the following command:

df -h

Make sure /dev/root isn’t full. (This just happened to me and caused a sad face boot loop)

Thanks for your attention Mandrake,
May be I will have to reinstall but let’s try to solve this first.
(Because if I’ve made some silly things by installing some add-ons I will eventually reproduce the problem sooner or later; not to say this thread could reveal to be helpful to others as well)

So df -h says I’m good

~$ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root       7.0G  3.7G  2.9G  57% /
devtmpfs        372M     0  372M   0% /dev
tmpfs           501M     0  501M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           501M  6.8M  494M   2% /run
tmpfs           5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
tmpfs           501M     0  501M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p1  240M   17M  223M   8% /boot
tmpfs           101M     0  101M   0% /run/user/1000

for the rest here are the urls

journalctl is on http://paste.osmc.io/ubujutufod
/home/osmc/.kodi/temp/kodi.log => http://paste.osmc.io/uqadetegoh

Note that I wasn’t able to paste-log /var/log/apt/term.log; error msg saying

curl: Can’t open ‘/var/log/apt/term.log’!
curl: try ‘curl --help’ or ‘curl --manual’ for more information

Ok, I’ll be waiting for gurus…
Hope I can help a little more but don’t got the skills.

Thanks

After a quick review as a neophyte I can’t tell.
This is the first time I’m dealing with kodi/osmc etc…

All I see are

osmc kernel: imx6_pm_common_init: failed to initialize ocram suspend -22!

01:41:16 osmc kernel: rtc-pcf8523: probe of 2-0068 failed with error -5

May 06 01:41:16 osmc systemd[1]: Cannot add dependency job for unit display-manager.service, ignoring: Unit display-manager.service failed to load: No such file or directory.

May 06 01:41:20 osmc sh[306]: rmdir: failed to remove ‘/media/README’: Not a directory

ERROR: Initialize - Error while opening /dev/fb0.

but can’t tell what is just a warning and what could be serious…

This is why Kodi can’t load:

02:14:32 T:1955799040  NOTICE: Initialize - graphics sysfs is read-only
02:14:32 T:1955799040  NOTICE: Initialize - 32bpp: configure alpha blending
02:14:32 T:1955799040   ERROR: Initialize - Error while opening /dev/fb0.
02:14:32 T:1955799040  NOTICE: InitWindowSystem: Using EGL Implementation: iMX

For some reason permissions are not correct on sysfs or /dev/fb0 - which is normally done by udev using the file /etc/udev/rules.d/999-fix-imx.rules, which belongs to the package vero-userland-osmc.

If you don’t have a file /var/log/apt/term.log then its as if you’ve never run any updates at all, as that is the log that will show all apt upgrade/install/uninstall activity.

Can you try running a full upgrade to see what happens ?

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

If you get any errors doing this please paste them here. Assuming you don’t get any errors reboot afterwards.

This won’t update your system. You should run apt-get dist-upgrade as well and confirm that you’re up to date. You can do this with: head -n 5 /home/osmc/.kodi/temp/kodi.log and uname -a.

Sam

Hi all;
Thanks Mandrake for your attention.

I’m going to do as you said ,
then I’ll also issue Sam’s apt-get dist-upgrade command.

but I have some fundamental question : no matter what if I sucessfully resolves this or finally willbe forced to reset an reinstall;
how in the first time did I got into this mess ?
I mean I am must of the time faraway from home so I didn’t use my vero that much since I got it.

In fact a part from attaching a hard drive with medias, downloading a few add-ons (themes essentially)
I didn’t really got the time to play with it yet …

So how is the ‘/dev/fb0’'s corruption taking place ?
Will be nice to understand that so I and others will avoid this.

Thanks anyway

Well, it fails …
I did the

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

took some time then when it finished I did reboot;
sad face again;
I “hard”-reboot by powering-off
bsod again;

If it can helps you in your diagnose, Note that every time I update apt i’m downloading

Hit http://security.debian.org jessie/updates/non-free Translation-en

(every time Translation-en is downloaded again and again… !)

Also, as Sam asked ;
I tested

uname -a

1 SMP Sun Apr 12 05:35:14 UTC 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux

and

head -n 5 /home/osmc/.kodi/temp/kodi.log
23:33:19 T:1955930112 NOTICE: special://profile/ is mapped to: special://masterprofile/
23:33:19 T:1955930112 NOTICE: -----------------------------------------------------------------------
23:33:19 T:1955930112 NOTICE: Starting Kodi (14.2 Git:Unknown). Platform: Linux ARM (Thumb) 32-bit
23:33:19 T:1955930112 NOTICE: Using Release Kodi x32 build (version for Vero)
23:33:19 T:1955930112 NOTICE: Kodi compiled Apr 20 2015 by GCC 4.9.2 for Linux ARM (Thumb) 32-bit version 3.14.14 (200206)

Something I should do to bring more information and help you resolve this mystery ?

At the end, is it software related (= I did some dumb mistake)
or is it hardware related (=some device is not operating normally with my Vero ?)
?

Disclaimer : I can easily restart from scratch ; as I said I didn’t have some much time to play with my vero so it will be no-pain and no-brain to re-flash the SD card. (just tell me how to do it)
All this is thread intention is if you think it’s helpful to solve the issue and know exactly how this happened and/or how to solve it; for other users or future revisions of the vero and/or osmc !

I would recommend you just go to Download - OSMC and start fresh. Then run a full update

Sam

I moved a post to a new topic: Error running updates

Hi

This thread is for Vero, not Pi. Can you please start a new one in the Pi section with your issue?

Sam

Yeah, I thought that was probably the case, sorry. I’ll do that.

Had a similar problem on the pi and the solution was to run fsck on / in automode as my sdcard got somehow corrupted and was mounted read only. After running fsck and rebooting the sadfaceloop was gone.

1 Like

@mcobit that worked flawlessly thank you so very much!!! :dancers: lol