Vero failing to update

Over the last few days I have been met with a notice - that Vero has “failed to update and report issue on the forums”. Well here I am :grinning:.

Can you ssh into the device?

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Hi @sam_nazarko - sorry for delay, had some friends over for a movie marathon and only managed to log back in this morning

I’m unable to supply logs as I get the following error - “OSMC Log Uploader - Could not retrieve URL”. I’ve also got issues maintaining (movies) and creating (TV Shows) - getting errors “Unable to connect to remote server. Would you like to continue scanning”.

Any suggestions on how to resolve?

Thanks

EDIT - carried out some further troubleshooting and in Network screen I see that the connection is showing as wired, but Status is: "Status: eth0 (No internet). Connection is wired and receiving full throughput from switch to router (based on status lights) - guess that should rule out cable issues. But strange thing is my router doesn’t show the Vero as connected when wired - but happily shows up when using wireless. Of course when wireless my UHD rips choke. Any suggestions on what I might look for. All other wired devices work as expected.

Thanks

It sounds like a network issue on your side, which would explain why updates are failing…

Hi Sam

Added an edit to my post - not sure if you saw it, or were notified of the amended post.

Does the Vero get an IP from your LAN when connected by wire.
Can you ssh in?

Thanks for the response @fzinken. Yes it does provide an IP address. Will need to read up how to ssh “in” - never used it before.

Details regarding how to access the command line interface can be found here on our Wiki: Accessing the command line - General - OSMC

OK Guys - downloaded putty and have access to ssh - please hold hand gently lol. What do you want me to try.

Provide (copy/paste into here) output of ip addr, ip ro, cat /etc/resolv.conf and ping 8.8.8.8

1 Like

Quick question before i cause all sorts of chaos lol

should there be spaces between the commas and commands

ip addr, ip ro, cat /etc/resolv.conf, or no spaces ip addr,ip ro,cat /etc/resolv.conf

Sorry for basic questions

Each one is a single command. Example -

osmc@osmctest:~$ ip addr
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 4096 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host
2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,DYNAMIC,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether c4:4e:ac:07:85:38 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.1.42/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global eth0
osmc@osmctest:~$ ip ro
default via 192.168.1.1 dev eth0
192.168.1.0/24 dev eth0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.1.42
192.168.1.1 dev eth0 scope link
osmc@osmctest:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by Connection Manager
search *******.us
nameserver 192.168.1.252
osmc@osmctest:~$

EDIT: Once you paste your output in a post, highlight it all and use the code tags </> so it is formatted in a more clearly readable way. I’ve edited the following post and done it for you this time.

1 Like

Doh - got it now thanks. Hope this is correct

osmc@osmc:~$ ip addr
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 4096 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host
2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,DYNAMIC,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether c4:4e:ac:29:33:b3 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.0.36/24 brd 192.168.0.255 scope global eth0
3: wlan0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 10:d0:7a:ac:c7:e6 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
osmc@osmc:~$ ip ro
default dev eth0 scope link
192.168.0.0/24 dev eth0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.0.36
osmc@osmc:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by Connection Manager
nameserver 194.168.4.100
nameserver 194.168.8.100
osmc@osmc:~$ ping 8.8.8.8
PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8): 56 data bytes

Thanks will do - tried to edit after pasting, to mirror your’s but, couldn’t see code tags on edit.

So, did you check in your router software to confirm that no other device is being provisioned with the 192.168.0.36 address? It’s also a bit odd that your nameservers seem to be private addresses but on a different subnet? @fzinken will have better idea than I on what step to take next.

Yes I’ve checked and no other device has that address.

Tried a reboot of the router, but nothing changed.

Set-up was previously working correctly. With no physical changes, I suddenly received the message that upgrading had failed, on Thursday morning.

No proper route is configured.
When you go to MyOSMC → Network → wired, is it configured as DHCP or manual?

Hi @fzinken. It shows “configure Network Using DCHP”

@fzinken - highlighted and applied (sure I tried that before) and now it’s working as expected. Sorry to trouble you guys. Not sure what changed to cause the error, but it’s now retrieving info for my TV shows - which it wasn’t doing before. Will attempt update after this has finished.

Thanks for the prompt assistance everyone - appreciate it.