Vero V at 100mbps?

Was this with autoneg of and forced 100M?

[78863.884179] usb 1-2: USB disconnect, device number 6
[78878.875825] meson6-dwmac fdc00000.ethernet eth0: Link is Up - 100Mbps/Full - flow control off
[78878.875831] stmmac: Energy-Efficient Ethernet intentionally disabled
[79039.038177] meson6-dwmac fdc00000.ethernet eth0: Link is Down
[79039.038182] stmmac: Energy-Efficient Ethernet intentionally disabled
[79042.158269] meson6-dwmac fdc00000.ethernet eth0: Link is Up - 1Gbps/Full - flow control rx/tx
[79042.158275] stmmac: Energy-Efficient Ethernet intentionally disabled

Yes, that is when Iw as testing 100meg forced. Further up is autonegotiate connected to the wall jack:

[76488.925924] meson6-dwmac fdc00000.ethernet eth0: Link is Up - 100Mbps/Full - flow control off
[76488.925930] stmmac: Energy-Efficient Ethernet intentionally disabled
[77337.576339] meson6-dwmac fdc00000.ethernet eth0: Link is Down
[77337.576345] stmmac: Energy-Efficient Ethernet intentionally disabled
[77343.816405] meson6-dwmac fdc00000.ethernet eth0: Link is Up - 100Mbps/Full - flow control off
[77343.816411] stmmac: Energy-Efficient Ethernet intentionally disabled

FYI, I reconnected my Vero 4K+ like before and see this:

[  136.355375] stmmac: Energy-Efficient Ethernet intentionally disabled
[  141.555219] meson6-dwmac c9410000.ethernet eth0: Link is Up - 100Mbps/Full - flow control rx/tx
[  141.555226] stmmac: Energy-Efficient Ethernet intentionally disabled

I am not saying that is the issue but just for comparison purposes.

Hereā€™s the Vero V set for auto connected to the wall:

Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full 
                                1000baseT/Full 
        Supported pause frame use: No
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Supported FEC modes: Not reported
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 
                                1000baseT/Full 
        Advertised pause frame use: No
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
        Link partner advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 
                                             1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full 
        Link partner advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
        Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Link partner advertised FEC modes: Not reported
        Speed: 100Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: MII
        PHYAD: 0
        Transceiver: external
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Supports Wake-on: ug
        Wake-on: d
        Current message level: 0x0000003f (63)
                               drv probe link timer ifdown ifup
        Link detected: yes

And here is the Vero 4K+ connected to the wall.

Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 
                                1000baseT/Full 
        Supported pause frame use: No
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Supported FEC modes: Not reported
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 
                                1000baseT/Full 
        Advertised pause frame use: No
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
        Link partner advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 
                                             1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full 
        Link partner advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
        Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Link partner advertised FEC modes: Not reported
        Speed: 100Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: MII
        PHYAD: 0
        Transceiver: external
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Supports Wake-on: ug
        Wake-on: d
        Current message level: 0x0000003f (63)
                               drv probe link timer ifdown ifup
        Link detected: yes

4K+ and V have the same Ethernet PHY, so should function the same.

That is good to know. I wasnā€™t sure.

Was I to assume this? Even so, everyone overlooks things time to time. So is this run already connected as a two pair with the bad line isolated out?

Attempting to keep bad information from propagating.

The longer story here is that I pulled a Cat5e cable years ago to this area but in doing so I broke one of the wires which supports 1G somewhere

There is no ā€œone wireā€ that supports 1G.

It is 4 usable wires

Not good enough, it must 2 usable twisted pairs, for 10, 100 and 1000mbps.

I would just pick two of the good pairs and rewire it to a two pair jack so it doesnā€™t ever try connecting at gigabit in the first place.

So you have three usable pairs (blue, orange, and green) and one dead pair (brown)?
Depending on the quality of the wiring you may be able to still pull 1Gbps.

Only two pair (1&2 and 3&6) are used for data transfer, even at gigabit speeds.
The 4&5 pair are generally used to provide PoE if necessary.

Chris

Correct on the two pairs but I plan to retest things when I get time.

1 Like

Fair points and a poor choice of words on my part.

I fully understand this, the need for twisted pairs etc.

It was close to 10 years ago when I tested this cable and itā€™s been running fine since and works fine with the Netgear switch as a speed converter. However, it is worth be rechecking it. Iā€™ll confirm the pairing, which wire is broken etc. It is possible I split a pair here but I am pretty sure I didnā€™t. I remember working on this for a few hours.

If need be I can cut a patch cord and repin the cut ends with new connectors and confirmed good pairs fr TX / RX and see what happens. This will be easier and quicker to confirm vs. reterminating the patch panel and wall jacks, both of which are a little harder to get to. Of course if I did split a pair then Iā€™ll need to reterminate things.

Iā€™m not sure where you got this information about gigabit only using two wire pairs or the other two pairs being used except for POE. Fast ethernet uses single transmit and receive pairs but Iā€™ve never read about any gigabit ethernet that does the same. Additionally, although there was some setups with fast ethernet where unused wires were used as a simple way to do basic power transmission that only needed direct connection to a PSU this is absolutely not the way 802.3af/at/bt work as they use the voltage differential signaling as a way that they can just increase the voltage on the pairs without interfering with the signals transmitting over them.

:wink:

I stand corrected. Although Iā€™ve seen gigabit connections in practice without all 4 pairs working, it is the spec.
Iā€™ve also seen working 10base-T operating with cables without 2 working pairs.
Not that either case might have produced full rated performance, but does show how resilient twisted-pair ethernet is.
Thank you!

Sometimes the simplest solution is best. After thinking about this a bit more I decided to take a patch cord and cut the white/blue and white/brown pairs making it truly a 100 Base T connection to the Vero V from the wall jack.

the dmesg output now shows flow control

[   12.601611] meson6-dwmac fdc00000.ethernet eth0: Link is Up - 100Mbps/Full - flow control rx/tx

and the Ethernet interface has stayed up solid for 2+ hrs, Iā€™ll continue to monitor but this looks like the quick and dirty answer.

When I asked you said the jack was already wired as a two pair. This patch cord is doing the same thing.

I appreciate all of the dialog and suggestions yesterday on this issue. Itā€™s kind of fun to occasionally deal with a physical layer issue vs. many of the software related issue we often encounter.

In the end your suggestion was the correct one in that it was the additional 3 connected wires that were causing the issue. One day Iā€™ll get curious and spend a few hours trying to figure out which wire is broken.

Thanks for your help

Glad to hear you found a workaround solution.
Iā€™m curious which standard you were using T-568A or T-568B?
You mentioned cutting the blue pair and the brown pair and with both standards that is 4/5 and 7/8 so that didnā€™t help me narrow down which standard you started with.

NOTE: For those who may be interested, I am a low voltage and fiber technician and I have noticed that many people use the T-568B standard now more than ever. I go into a lot of new builds and find all the cat5e and cat6 terminated with T-568B. I always use T-568A and train others to as well for one simple reason: many men are color blind, especially with blues and greens. If you use the T-568A standard then the 4/5 blue pair is flanked by the 3/6 orange pair and this is much easier for those who are color blind (I am not). It always amazes me how many men I come across that suffer from color blindness and they donā€™t even know they do. Most lines I test that fail are because people are using the T-568B standard and mixing their blue and greens in various ways. So I am trying to bring about a T-568A standard revival for all those color blind men out there! You may want to consider doing so as well next time you terminate ethernet.

For those who maybe reading this and donā€™t know these standards off the top of their heads:

I am using T-568B. I never thought about the issue you raise. Good to know and think about.

Can you pull a new cable through?

Not easily. Itā€™s about a 75 ft run in walls and through floor joists where the holes werenā€™t quite large enough in spots for all the cat 5e cable I pulled through them. I was fine on the first pull but on the last pull I pulled through 3 more runs and it was tight. I will retest it at some point. It is possible I have a bad jack in the patch panel or a bad keystone jack in the wall plate but I am pretty sure I checked that 10 years ago when I did this wiring.

Ah, itā€™s not something you want to do twice, maybe an external run, doesnt need to be shielded I had a 30m cat5e cable run outside to a poe camera and it was fine, not underneath anything either.