Vero V, correct colors and bit depth?!

hey!

I noticed that if I play a 8bit 4:2:0 file (FHD movie) my TV receives 10bit 4:4:4 and if I play a HDR movie with native 10bit it also receives 10bit 4:4:4.

If I force 4:2:2 supsampling, both files are shown in 8 Bit 4:2:2.

Is that by intetntion or a bug? shouldn’t the tv get 10 bit from the hdr file and 8 bit from the fhd file in botth subsampling variants?

It’s by intention. If your display supports 10 bits then all video is output as 10 bits. The bottom two bits are dithered. It doesn’t affect the colours.

It’s impossible for the display to know how many bits are actually used in a 4:2:2 HDMI signal. 4:2:2 has the capacity for up to 12 bits within the same bandwidth as an 8-bit 4:4:4 signal. Vero will be sending 10 bits.

1 Like

ok, so the display shows just a number because it cannot detect the bitdepth, right? Anyways, thank you for the info!

yes

Please note that 4:2:0 is not 6 bit, 4:2:2 is not 8 bit and 4:4:4 is not 12 bits, it has a completely different meaning of not sending chroma (color) information for all pixels, many only get Luma (lightness) information. The density of this chroma reduction is reflected in these numbers, 4:4:4 is no reduction, full information for all pixels AFAIK.

I don’t think anyone was suggesting that! :smiley: